Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand - October 10th-30th

Posted by Simon1974 on 18/7/2011 at 22:29

Hi,
I am travelling solo to Thailand in October and its my first time in the country. I have 20 nights in total and expect to spend at least a couple of nights on sleeper trains. I have put together a rough itinerary below.

Bangkok - 3 nights
Chiang Mai - 4 nights
Kanchanaburi - 4 nights
Islands - 4 nights
Final night in Bangkok

I’m after a few opinions from people with a bit more experience of the area.
Am I trying to do too much in the time that I have?

I’ve looked at the weather guide for the islands and the chance of rain seems fairly high for either coast. Does anyone have any suggestions of which islands are most likely to be dry during the last week of October or would I better leaving that part of my trip open and making the decision whilst I’m there.

Thanks in advance for any responses

#1 Simon1974 has been a member since 12/7/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 19/7/2011 at 00:09

That looks OK. I wouldn't get hung up on the nights. You might get somewhere and decide it blows and move on. Or you might get somewhere and love it and stay the whole time. But otherwise, looks fine.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by guava_girl on 19/7/2011 at 09:17

Not sure which islands would be drier. On the Andaman the monsoon is coming to an end while on the Gulf it is just beginning. Just choose which you want to visit more and try your luck.

#3 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by Tilapia on 19/7/2011 at 18:46

Leave it open, check the weather when you're there, and then decide.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by SBE on 19/7/2011 at 19:49

If it were me I'd limit the time in Bangkok at the beginning. I'd just stay one night there, get some sleep and a shower, and head off. If you're planning on doing any shopping then it's best to leave Bangkok till the end. Saves you having to carry stuff around with you and gives you more flexibility for the rest of the trip.

You don't seem to have factored in transport time much. How are you planning to get to all these places?

Looks like you'll have to pass through Bangkok a few times anyway. It might be logistically easier to bundle up Kanchanaburi with your Bangkok stay (either at the beginning or the end of your trip) rather than sticking it in the middle of your itinerary.

I don't know what kind of island you want but Air Asia flies direct from Chiang Mai to Phuket. You don't necessarily have to stay in Phuket. Less developed islands like Ko Yao Yai and Ko Yao Noi are within easy reach, and Phi Phi and the Krabi area aren't too far away. Depends what kind of islands you fancy.

At the end of October the Andaman coast is probably going to be your best bet but as the others say wait till you get there to decide. In my experience it's just be the odd heavy shower lasting an hour or so on the Andaman coast at that time of year, no big deal. Mostly sunny and hot!

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Simon1974 on 19/7/2011 at 21:48

Thanks for the replies everyone, they've given me a few things to consider.

I had planned on using sleeper trains to go both North to Chiang Mai and then South towards whichever islands were having the better weather. Thats why I was considering visitng Kanchanaburi in the middle of my trip to break up the traveling.

Thinking about it 4 nights on trains maybe a bit much. I had looked into flying from Chaing Mai to Koh Samui but the prices were very prohibitive even booking months in advance. I will look into the Airasia flights South.

With regards to the islands I was looking for somewhere reasonably chiiled out over the full on party scene, I'm showing my age now.

Off to work on the 2nd draft, thanks again.

#6 Simon1974 has been a member since 12/7/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.