Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Best Way f/ Chang Mai to Nong Khai

Posted by mespena on 31/1/2007 at 05:17

What's the best way to get from Chang Mai to Nong Kai? Plane? Train? What's the airport that services Nong Khai? I am going from Nong Khai to Ko Chang afterward...
Thanks
May

#1 mespena has been a member since 28/1/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 31/1/2007 at 10:08

hey mespena,

train isn't really an option, because you'd have to go almost all the way back to bangkok and then catch another train to nong khai.

the airport that serves nong khai is udon thani, about an hour to the south. nok air advertises at least three flights per week on the chiang mai to udon thani route. this would be a good way to go if you have limited time.

alternatively, if you have a bit more time, i'd take the long way from chiang mai over to laos and luang prabang, down to vientiane, and then across the friendship bridge to nong khai. that's a classic backpacker route and very much worth the effort if you have the time. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 31/1/2007 at 21:59

The route through Laos is excellent.

Another way (through Thailand) would be to go to Phitsanulok, hop on a bus to Loie, then either go north to Chiang Khan then follow the river east, or go from Loie straight to Nong Khai via Pak Chom. It's not a one day trip, though. Phitsanulok to Loie takes about 4-5 hours, and Loie to Nong Khai takes about 7-8 hours.

I'd recommend going to Phitsanulok and staying the night (if you don't plan on going to Sukhothai). It's a pretty decent place in the evening, especially along the river. Plus, if you haven't seen it, you can go and check out Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat. In the morning, catch the bus to Loie (get your ticket in advance because there are only a couple each day and they are usually standing room only!), then go north to Chiang Khan for the evening (or a couple of days ... it's a lovely spot).

From Chiang Khan go east to Pak Chom (by songthaew), and then hop on a bus to Nong Khai (you may have to wait for a little while). You can stop in either Sangkhom or Si Chiangmai to break the trip, if you want. Both are pretty nice, but you can get to Nong Khai in about 5 hours.

Spectacular trip along the Mekong!

It's also possible and pretty easy to hitch between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai, though traffic is pretty light along some stretches of this road (211).

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by exacto on 1/2/2007 at 09:43

Tilapia wins. The route Tilapia suggests is loads of fun, and definitely wins the award for the "road less travelled." I'm homesick just thinking about that last portion of the trip along the Mekong River.

Si Chiangmai is a favorite spot of mine too, gazing longingly at Vientiane across the river. Plus, it's the spring roll wrapper capital of the world.

Tilapia, if I quit my job tomorrow and book a flight to Bangkok, it is because of you! Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 1/2/2007 at 21:07

Hmmmm ... that sounds like a pretty good idea, Exacto, and not just because it's -21C this morning. When I left Bangkok a couple of weeks ago it was 30C by this time of the day.

If you do, don't forget to send a postcard ... ={:?D)

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.