Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Tourist train to Kanchanaburi

Posted by KazAussie on 10/8/2011 at 18:10

Hi,

Has anybody taken the tourist train to Kanchanaburi described http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm#tourist railcar.

We are thinking of doing this trip but stopping at Kanchanaburi for a couple of nights. I know the strait trip only takes a couple of hours but this seems like a nice way to spend a day.

Any comments?

#1 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by eastwest on 10/8/2011 at 20:27

I've taken that train a few years ago. Not all the way from/to BKK but just a short ride for a few hours. Don't remember the full details. Just that we got on in Kanchanaburi with a group of friends, plenty of booze and good spirits. I think you can understand why I don't remember all the details.
Wonderful ride through scenic landscape. Not sure though if I would want to be in those seats for a very long time.

We only drove for 2 hours and then got picked up again as a part of a "stag party". Can not help much more but those 2 hours were great for sure.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 10/8/2011 at 21:28

It's great. Far better than taking the bus. The bus is faster, but the scnerey is pretty bland/awful, especially between Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom.

Plus, the train station in K-buri is a lot closer to most of the guest houses than the bus station. You can walk to quite a few very good ones on the river in about 10 minutes.

Easy to get to and from the Thonburi Railway Station, too.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by KazAussie on 11/8/2011 at 04:23

Thank you both for your replies. Looks like we will definitely give it a go. Can't wait -- we will be on the train on Saturday week (20th).

#4 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.