Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel advice SE Asia - Route and Transport

Posted by Scott1987 on 31/8/2011 at 21:54

I am trying to plan a trip to SE Asia for the start of October 2011 for 1 month. I am looking to visit Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam with a budget of around £1000GBP.

I fly into Bangkok so would be starting the trip there and would need to return to Bangkok in a months time.

I am a bit concerned about it being the rainy season is Laos and Cambodia safe enough to travel bus or mini bus at this time?

I am open to suggestions on places to visit or even places to avoid. I am trying to pack a lot in but don’t mind skipping out a few places if we start to run out of time.

The trip so far....

Arrive in Bangkok
3 Nights in Bangkok
Bangkok> ChiangMai
2 Nights in Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai > LuangPrabang
4 Nights Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang >Hanoi (possibly flying)
2 Night in Hanio
Hanoi > Halong Bay
2 Nights Halong Bay
Halong Bay > Hanoi> (then flight to Hue)
2 nights stay in Hue
Hue > Hoi An
2 nights stay HoiAn
Hoi An > Nha Trang
2 nights stay NhaTrang
Nha Trang > Ho ChiMinh City
2 nights Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City >Phnom Penh
2 Nights stay in PhnomPenh
Phnom Penh > SeimReap including Angkor Wat
4 Nights stay
Angkor Wat >Bangkok
1night Bangkok

#1 Scott1987 has been a member since 31/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 1/9/2011 at 03:38

I have said it before and I'll say it again (and so will others!) - 4 countries in 1 month is too much until you really do want a whirlwind tour.

Have you taken into account actual travel time to get between destinations? You effectively lose a day each time you move - so subtract that for your total days. That applies to flight days as well - by the time you get to the airport, check-in, wait, fly, customs, find hotel, etc, etc. You may be able to take overnight buses etc but I would think you need to build in a little bit of recovery time along the way.

At minimum, I would suggest cutting out two countries and aim for a quality time rather than focus on 'quantity'.

Given your time timeframe, forget Vietnam. But if you DO go there, then skip Nha Trang and Hue - and focu on the other main areas (you really want 3-4 nights in Hoi An, for example).

Alternatively, skip Chiang Mai and fly BKK-LP direct. Or skip LP altogether and fly Bkk -Hanoi.

Travelling time aside, your budget will be much higher too if you travel frequently, plus you will have extra associated costs such as departure taxes, visa fees, etc.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.