Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ponganes Cafe

Posted by heddenswest on 10/9/2011 at 11:51

I'm a coffee lover from Portland, Oregon. I want real coffee but realize that it's often hard to find when on the road. If you're heading to Chiang Mai and need a real kick lovingly prepared by a serious barista, head to Ponganes Espresso in the old city about 5 minutes by foot from Tha Pae Gate. This cafe was opened by the owner and his girlfriend just 2 months ago. They do coffee, nothing more...maybe a free banana! The mocha is prepared with his own cocoa sauce and the little piccalo is the perfect balance of strong espresso and a dash of milk.

Info: 127/1 Moon Mung Rd Soi 5
Chiang Mai
Next to Baan Klang Vieng hostel
T. [url=tel:087-727-2980]087-727-2980[/url]
Www.Facebook.com/ponganeseespressobar
Info: 127/1 Moon Mung Rd. Soi

#1 heddenswest has been a member since 7/1/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by Tilapia on 14/9/2011 at 02:11

There's a guy beside the KT Guest House, in the Huai Kwang area of Bangkok, who has a little street-side coffee bar with a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and beans from his uncle's organic plantation up near Chiangmai.

I have a Rancilio Silvia and nearly fell over when I saw his sitting on the counter. I was able to avoid Nescafe and Triple-Mix for, at least, a couple of days.

Thanks for the recommendation above.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by exacto on 14/9/2011 at 03:36

It isn't like the old days anymore when, like Tilapia says, you had your choice of Nescafe or Triple-Mix. There are some great coffees to be had travelling around southeast Asia and I don't mean Starbucks.

I've been to that hole-in-the-wall coffee bar Tilapia mentions right near the KT Guest House. It was fantastic, affordable, and the people who work there as nice as can be.

Another gem I discovered was Teacher Coffee in Kamphaeng Phet, in a little shack up past Three J Guest House and then maybe 300 meters to the left along the main road. Great coffee prepared just like the one mentioned by the OP.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.