Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Talat Baan Mai (Baan Mai Market) - weekends only?

Posted by busylizzy on 14/9/2011 at 16:11

Has anyone been to the Baan Mai market, about 80km east of Bangkok lately?

From what I've read, it is mainly a weekend market, but as I probably won't be in Bkk over a weekend, I'm just wondering what it's like during the week - quiet but still open with stuff to see/eat/try/buy, or are the doors closed? Is it worthwhile making the trip over on a weekday (most likely a Mon or Tue).

Even if the market won't be open during the week, what about the general area, Chachoengsao?

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 14/9/2011 at 23:01

Hi Lizzy,

Can't comment on the market, but last time I was in Chachoengsao I thought it was quite nice and interesting, especially around the old Chinese Quarter and the river. Wat Sothorn is very impressive, and there is Rin, the famous sweet shop. Much of the town isn't much to look at, but that goes for most Thai towns of the same size. Definitely worth a night, though, I'd say. Hardly any tourists bother going there ... hmmm ... might have to put it on my list of places to return to.

I believe there's a boat that travels between Talat Ban Mai and Wot Sothorn, which is nice and convenient. Haven't taken it, so don't quote me on this.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 15/9/2011 at 05:40

Thanks Tilapia - it sounds like my kind of place for an interesting day or two out of the big smoke.

I haven't got long in Bkk but am just trying to line up my options for consideration. I'm tossing up between the Mae Khlong Mahachai train down to Samut Songkhram (with a visit to Amphawa, where I have been before ) or Chachoengsao (the market in particular). Decisions, decisions....

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by SBE on 15/9/2011 at 18:26

Hi Lizzy. Can't help with your specific question but you might want to have a rummage around Richard Barrow's site if you haven't already seen it. He's got info about loads of interesting and unusual places to visit around Bangkok and he's been to most of the markets.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/9/2011 at 03:18

Hey SBE - yeah, I had seen his site, thanks, and it's been the inspiration of some of my plans in the past. There's some good stuff there!

In fact, I just went to have another look and found another good idea worthy of checking out!

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.