Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand Visit - Early March

Posted by cbionic on 7/10/2011 at 10:46

My wife and I are looking to honeymoon in Thailand starting in early March for two weeks. We were thinking of a few days in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Ko Phi Phi. We hear that the burning of the fields may be a problem this time of year. Any thoughts? Thanks

#1 cbionic has been a member since 13/9/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/10/2011 at 13:11

"Usually" (the past 12 years I've been visitng/living in Chiang Mai) early March is one of the worst times for air pollution up north due to seasonal burning at the end of dry season, and can also be very hot, as in highs of 40C/11F.

However, if rains come early like this year it changes things significantly - clears the air, takes the edge off the heat, and brings new greenery to the forests. The problem is knowing what the weather will do year-upon-year. Very hard to predict.

If you're only here for a few days though, it probably won't matter too much. All activities/sights are still there to enjoy, just might want either aircon or an umbrella. Down on Phi Phi at this time is usually pretty good - after the high season but still decent weather. If the north is hot and hazy I usually head for the islands.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.