Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting to Laos from Chiang Mai

Posted by Geezy on 7/10/2011 at 22:11

Hi All,

I am currently in Chiang Mai and am looking to book the slow boat trip to Luang Prabang .

A few questions if I may?:

-Do I need a passport photo for a Visa on Arrival? I dont currently have one :(
-Do they accept Thai Baht whilst I am there? Its all I currently have
-How easy is it to book a flight from Luang Prabang to Bangkok? ( as that is where i fly home from)

Thanks a lot
Geezy

#1 Geezy has been a member since 27/7/2009. Posts: 48

Posted by frasmc on 8/10/2011 at 10:14

-It should be fairly straightforward to get passport photos in Chaing Mai. You'll probably need two.
-You should be able to use Baht, Kip, and US Dollars in Lao, but it varies from place to place.
-Lao Airlines flies from Luang Prabang to Bangkok for $182.50 US (all in). You can book your flight relatively easily through their website at laoairlines.com.

#2 frasmc has been a member since 28/11/2005. Posts: 29
 Send frasmc a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/10/2011 at 11:13

"Do I need a passport photo for a Visa on Arrival?"
One photo for Laos VOA (or for a small donation they will look the other way)

"Do they accept Thai Baht?"
Yes but they charge more that way ($US35 but THB1500=$50)

"How easy is it to book a flight from Luang Prabang to Bangkok?"
Very easy - Walk into a travel agent and pay, and now is low season so availability is a snap. Lao Airlines LPQ-BKK currently $175 web price, but usually cheaper if you book at a local travel agent.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Geezy on 9/10/2011 at 21:19

Thanks for the replies. Heading to Chiang Khong tomorrow morning then doing the slow boat trip. Got my passport photos today and some US dollars.

Ginny

#4 Geezy has been a member since 27/7/2009. Posts: 48

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.