Coming friday the 14th i arrive in Bangkok at 13.40 together with a friend. We leave saturday the 22th at 12.30. We haven't booked anything else yet, and were planning on making it a long city trip (we're both big-city-lovers, been to Bangkok before).
But... with the floods threatening Bangkok, what should we do? Changing all plans and fly to Krabi/Phi Phi instead? Or maybe Chang Mai? Where's the best chance for decent weather?
And what do you think: can we book the flights on arrival, or should we pre-book them at home? How full are the Air Asia flights normally during this month?
Because another option is to just go with the flow, land at Bangkok and see how the situation is, and deciding then where to go instead.
Any advice by experienced Thailand-travelers or residents would be very welcome!! Thanks ahead,
#1 JohnKing has been a member since 11/10/2011. Posts: 3
"go with the flow, land at Bangkok and see how the situation is"
This is probably the best plan-A. Flooding in Bangkok could get bad or it might be patchy. The worst-hit area is the provinces north of Bangkok (Ayutthaya, Lopburi, Nakhon Sawan) right up the Chao Phraya river basin. The far north is fine though.
"Where's the best chance for decent weather?"
Chiang Mai is looking pretty good lately (I live here) with increasingly sunny days and rain season coming to an end. Sometimes we get one last gasp of rain in Oct so it might not be over yet, but looks very promising.
Down south weather is usually more of a question mark in October.
Look at the satellite view here http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/vsmtsatw.html
forecasts here http://www.tmd.go.th/en/and
My friend on Phuket has been complaining about rain a lot lately though, but Samui seems to be ok for now.
The flooding around Chiang Mai was pretty much just the 29/30 of September then water drained off the next couple days. The areas affected were Chang Klan district on the southern edge of the city and the night bazaar had about 50cm of water for the two days. Also downstream along the Ping river towards Lumphun and down to Chom Thong had some relatively minor flooding. Sure some villages in the well-known flood path were hit badly, but it was nothing like what is currently happening down in Ayutthaya etc just north of Bangkok.
It's low season for tourism now and fairly quiet in Chiang Mai with maybe 30% of the numbers we see in Dec/Jan, but hey still enough people around to have a party and everything's open for business with tons of cheap rooms available. We pick up again during Loy Krathong festival next month but anytime's good and the sun's starting to show up.
So the nightlife/bars/etc aren;'t lonesome and empty now? ;-)
Thanks Bob! We're flying thursday night European time. I'll check the wheather/flood situation for Bangkok then and if it's bad we'll go to Chiang Mai, at least for the first 3/4 days.
Any tips on a nice hotel or maybe a riverside-bungalow-hammock-relaxing-kinda-thing (budget around 20-30 euro's a night)?
#5 JohnKing has been a member since 11/10/2011. Posts: 3