Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Looking for a place to spend New Years other than Full Moon Party

Posted by mightycabage on 14/10/2011 at 05:23

I've been to a couple full moon parties already, and I plan on going to one again during my upcoming trip to Thailand, but I don't think I want to deal with the insane crowds and accommodation price hikes during New Years on Ko Phangan.

I'm taking my brother and his friends around Thailand for 4 weeks (it's their first time backpacking in SE Asia) and I want them to experience a full moon party but New Years sounds too hectic. Any other good ideas for what to do on New Years? We'll probably go to the FMP on January 8. Thanks.

#1 mightycabage has been a member since 14/10/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by altmtl on 14/10/2011 at 06:29

" but I don't think I want to deal with the insane crowds and accommodation price hikes during New Years on Ko Phangan" - you will have this both at the FMP & NYE...

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by mightycabage on 14/10/2011 at 11:11

I know the crowds get crazy at FMP but from what I read it's way more difficult to find accommodation on NYE because the crowds are even crazier.

Basically I don't want to make room reservations because of the 7-10 night minimum they require for NYE. In the past, I've gone to FMPs and didn't ever have much of a problem finding accommodation on arrival.

#3 mightycabage has been a member since 14/10/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by altmtl on 14/10/2011 at 12:05

You could always stay at a northern beach on KPN far away from the FMP, then you'd be close when the time comes to move? Or if you want peace go to Bang-Saphan-Yai...
https://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/prachuap_khiri_khan/bang_saphan_yai

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by guava_girl on 14/10/2011 at 23:29

There are plenty of places that don't require the 7 days booking. If you look on the north side of the island (as mentioned above) you will find some there.

#5 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by mightycabage on 15/10/2011 at 01:06

@altmtl: thanks for the tip. Bang Saphan Yai looks nice I'll try to visit there during my 3 month trip!

@guava: that is true. I actually would like to stay on the north part of the island but my brother and his friends (it being their first time and I think they want to party hardy) will probably want to stay in Haad Rin. We shall see.

#6 mightycabage has been a member since 14/10/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.