Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Planning 1 month in Thailand

Posted by ThaiPrincess on 16/10/2011 at 20:37

Hey everyone!

So i've decided to plan a backpacking trip in Thailand for the month of June next year and honestly I have no idea where to begin my travels.

I was hoping I could get a few ideas/ possibly some sample itineraries here?

I'd like to balance my time between Thailand's attractions/ activities and some down time in amazing areas of the country.

I would love to travel as much of the country as I can, however, i'm not sure how much i'll be able to do in one month.

I'd like to keep the trip fairly cheap as well. I'm cool to stay in hostels/ cheap hotels and I would definitely much rather walk or take the public transport from place to place.

I'm also a big adventure-seeker so anything like sports, treks, etc. are definitely welcome in my trip.

Experiencing the culture is also a must, which, i'm sure I can experience a lot of in Thailand's towns and cities.

That's about it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be amazing if you could share!

Thanks! :)

#1 ThaiPrincess has been a member since 16/10/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Briareos on 16/10/2011 at 23:10

Easy place to start is inside the front few pages of the Lonely Planet travel guide there's a 1 month plan that see's quite a lot of the country.

I am going for just short of a month in January and have this roughly

Bangkok 2-3 days
Travel to Sokhothai (1 day)
Chiang Mai 3 days
Chiang Rai 3 days
1 Day travel back to BKK
Day in BKK
Travel down to ko pha ngan possible day tour of Ko Tao 2-3 days
Krabi 2 days
Ko phi pho 2 days
Khao sok nat park 1 day
BKK 1 day
Khao yai nat park 1 day
Finish at BKK

I am going for 27 days, that adds up to about 23? Gives me some time for travel and if I change my mind cut a place out some where.

I have a bunch of things and places I want to see in each location so know what I would like to do when i get there :)

#2 Briareos has been a member since 4/8/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by MADMAC on 17/10/2011 at 11:37

The key is you know what you want to see and do. You're timeline is a bit busy, but not insane. leave a little flex time at the end like you did - you should be fine. Have a good time.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Kpawsuh on 18/10/2011 at 03:27

Briareos, sounds like we will be just missing each other. I am in Khao Sok Dec 21 and Ko Tao Dec 29 until Jan 4 or so. There is so much to do, I found that finances drove what all I could do more so than a lack of things to do. Enjoy! My son and I are going to be there for a month as well. I have been told that Khao Sok is not to be missed although 4-5 days will be more than enough. Seems odd as it seems like a great place to hang and explore but we will see.

#4 Kpawsuh has been a member since 11/2/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by Glome on 18/10/2011 at 19:52

Myself and my husband will be going to Thailand for 5 weeks from 27th November. We have a rough idea where we want to go, but no idea for where to go for Christmas/New Year. Do you have any ideas, we are 30, up for a party. One thing that is worrying me is that we haven't booked any hotels (other than 2 nights in BKK when we arrive) is this stupid or will we be able to find places to stay as we move about?

Sorry for tagging on the back of this.

#5 Glome has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 18/10/2011 at 20:04

You will be able to find places as you move about - but if you end up going to tourist areas, then best book ahead to get what you want.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Briareos on 19/10/2011 at 23:15

I probably have to much in but thats the places I would like to see I already know what I want to do so will no doubt skip a place or two just so its not quite so frantic and stay in some places for longer than I have stated above.

Am planning on spending around £1000 but will have a bit more just incase as I guess travel will be my biggest cost.

Doubt I have planned enough time for the parks so will probably add a day or two to that so I get to see some more.

Hopefully some help Thaiprincess. All I did was google & search here for landmarks, activities to do and based my travel around that.

#7 Briareos has been a member since 4/8/2011. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.