Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Beach Swimming and Security

Posted by abh1128 on 16/2/2007 at 10:50

I am planning to do as much snorkeling & swimming as I can while in Thailand & am wondering about security precautions when staying in a sweet hut. Do they all have hotel safes? I'm going to have a money belt, camera, passport and need some ideas of how to enjoy the waves, yet not put my valuables at risk. Thanks all,

Anne

#1 abh1128 has been a member since 1/2/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/2/2007 at 07:11 admin

Hi Anne,

Most places will have some form of "safety box" depending on the place it may be a proper safe, in other cases just a locked drawer. Sometimes there's even a safe in the room, though that is rare in budget places.

There should be no problem leaving passport and money belt with staff in the safe/drawer, but they may baulk at taking your camera -- if only because it is a bit more bulky, so perhaps that is better stored in a beach bag which you leave prominently on your towel -- so you can see it from the water.

In most cases the beaches are no particularly crowded, so it's a fairly simple thing to keep an eye on your bag... unless you're snorkelling of course!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.