Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Too little planning?

Posted by cjb86 on 1/11/2011 at 20:59

hey,

I'm arriving in BKK with my girlfriend on the 1st December and have 5 months to take in Asia before flying out of Bali 5 and a half months later.

We are thinking of taking in BKK for a few days and then heading south to island hop for a bit (no place in particular) and then go back up north and head to Chiang Mai before going across the border into Laos. Is this the logical way to do it or would it be more sensible to head to Cambodia after taking in the south of thailand? I really haven't planned anything as I want to be felxible.

What have you guys done in the past?

Thanks in advance
Chris

#1 cjb86 has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 1/11/2011 at 21:56

It's probably a wash time wise... BUT, word around the campfire (and I can not confirm, you'll have to check) is that there's a direct flight from Phuket to Siem Reap. If true, then you could fly direct and man would that save you some time and convenience.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by altmtl on 1/11/2011 at 22:38

I'd make sure you use your Free 30 days in Thailand before moving to Laos, unless of course you get a double entry entry visa (2 x 60)

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by cjb86 on 2/11/2011 at 01:38

great, thanks guys. I'll look into that phuket to SR flight.

Do you know if you still need proof of onward travel if you get a double entry tourist visa?

#4 cjb86 has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by tyler on 2/11/2011 at 07:45

Bangkok Airways does fly direct to Siem Reap.
I've never been asked for onward travel in regards to obtaining any visas but check with the Thai consulate beforehand. Not positive about the double entry visa as I've never applied for one.
I find that the less I plan for my trips the better. Last year I bought a ticket to Denpasar and home from Phnom Penh 4 months later. I ended up staying in Bali for 3 months and studied Bahasa...I didn't plan to do it originally. My point is you don't know if you'll like or dislike a place until you get there. And if you don't book hotels, flights or transport tickets in advance your options are all open. Stay as long as you like or leave asap!
Enjoy!

#5 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 2/11/2011 at 08:03

I'd say that too little planning is the way to go, especially when you've got 5 months. That's loads of time. Maybe figure out a few places you'd like to see, then take your time getting to them, checking out the places in between. That's being flexible. You'll probably discover a few gems, too.

You aren't, by chance, queensy83's boyfriend, are you?

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 2/11/2011 at 18:00

Have a great trip hombre. You get out to Mukdahan look me up.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by cjb86 on 9/11/2011 at 13:15

sweet, cheers for the advice everyone.

#8 cjb86 has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by cybervlad on 14/11/2011 at 05:30

> or would it be more sensible to head to Cambodia
> after taking in the south of thailand?
If you were in the south Thailand there is good option to fly to SiemReap via Kuala Lumpur, not Bangkok. Then you can cross the border to Laos, then to north Thailand.

#9 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.