Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand August 2012 6 month stay

Posted by charlirabe on 11/11/2011 at 02:24

Hi all, my name is Charli. Im a hairdresser by trade but currently working in a Customer Service centre. I am planning on travelling to Thailand in August 2012 & hoping to venture around for atleast 6 months. I have a Thai/Australian background & have been over to S.E.A for holidays with family & friends before but this trip, i will be going at it alone & for a longer period of time.'

Any answers to the following queries will be greatly appreciated as i wish to get all the past experiences & advice i can get while im still residing in Sydney.

QUESTIONS:
* With my Thai background & family in asia, am i meant to get a visa? If so, what am i applying for?
* What kind of budget am i looking at for the entire 6 months? Keeping in mind i want to be able to survive though not necessarily in luxury.
* Is there anybody else travelling on their own during the time i will be there (August- February), as i certain parts of the country i wouldnt mind meeting up with companions?
* Also out of curiousity & possibility, what are the chances of getting work over there & what will pay be like. Obviously not a fruitful as Australia.

Any answers will be GREATLY appreciated!

#1 charlirabe has been a member since 11/11/2011. Location: Australia. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/11/2011 at 21:43

What is your citizenship? If not Thai then you need a work permit to work legally and then a tourist visa is not enough. Most foreigners who work here are English teachers and some do so illegally on a freelance basis, but most go through some sort of school who arranges the work permit, but you'd need to do your own groundwork searching for a school. It's not really appropriate for a 6-month tourist visit anyway. If you are fluent in Thai and English though, you could have a greater range of possibilities like a translation service but again you'd have to seek this out independently.

If you just want to stay in Thailand six months without working, get a double-entry tourist visa before travelling, which should get you two-60 day entries each one extendable 30 days thus giving you a total of 6 months (including one border hop for the 2nd entry plus two trips to Immigration for the extensions). Your local Thai embassy or consulate can help explain this.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by guava_girl on 11/11/2011 at 23:58

If you were born in Thailand then you can work and stay as long as you please. If you have family in Thailand you can apply for a non-immigrant O based on visiting family, but they will need to send a letter and copy of their Thai ID card to the embassy in Oz.

If you were not born in Thailand but your parents were then I believe you may also be exempt from having to get a visa and work permit but this is something that you should check with the embassy as I have no experience with this.

If none of these apply then you must get a work permit and non-immigrant business visa to work. This will be impossible to do for your current trade as you can only get a WP for a job that a Thai can not do.

As for how much money you can make, this depends on what you are doing.

#3 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by JoMaHa21 on 16/11/2011 at 14:28

Hi Charli, I'm planning on going to Thailand and travelling for about 6month around the same time as you and i will also be on my own, quite nervous about it to be honest, but everyone have told me that i will meet people out there, so if you wanted to meet up somewhere out there i would be up for that :)

#4 JoMaHa21 has been a member since 16/11/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.