Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Best Place to spend Thai New year in april??

Posted by jonnymac on 30/11/2011 at 12:41

Hey everyone,

I'm travelling to Thailand again in April and would like to hear some ideas to spend Thai New Years. I won't be able to get up north as I hear Chaing Mai is one of the best spots but am going to be either Bangkok area or southern islands.

I am wanting to be close to water as I've read April is the hottest month of the year so I guess my options are:

Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Koh Lanta, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. If you had a choice which would you go to for Thai New Years???

Cheers for the input it's much appreciated!!

Jonny Mac

#1 jonnymac has been a member since 4/11/2011. Posts: 18
 Send jonnymac a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/12/2011 at 13:46

The problem with Ko Samet and Ko Chang during Songkran is it gets really busy with Thai tourists coming out from Bangkok so rooms/bungalows are full and prices get hiked way up (I've slept rough on the sand with the beach dogs a couple times on Samet when nothing was available during peak times). Down south in predominantly-Muslim Ko Lanta Songkran isn't observed very much although it's still one of my favorite multi-option islands. From your list I'd probably go for Ko Phangan which gets kind of crazy for Songkran although the celebrations go on for just a couple days compared with Chiang Mai where the madness carries on for a solid week. Ko Tao would be a close-2nd. The best weather at that time is usually down the lower eastern gulf side so again Ko Phangan/Tao works well. Samui is more built-up and less budget-friendly but could be nice if you like a busy resort vibe.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by jonnymac on 1/12/2011 at 16:41

Thanks for your reply Captain Bob much appreciated.

I've stayed in Ko Phangan before at Haad Tian resort, north west on the island. Is there any spot you would recommend going on Ko Phangan specifically for Songkran...hopefully not Haad Rin, not a fan really. I'm a budget backpacker just looking for a good atmosphere, reasonable accomadation and doesn't need to be a full on party.

Let me know if you have any recommendations....

Cheers,

Jonny Mac

#3 jonnymac has been a member since 4/11/2011. Posts: 18
 Send jonnymac a private message 

Posted by guava_girl on 2/12/2011 at 05:23

During Songkran most people head to Thong Sala for the day.

#4 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.