Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Mae Hong Son Loop on motorbike - want to come?

Posted by ABJunkie on 1/12/2011 at 09:18

I just arrived in Chiang Mae and am thinking about renting a motorbike to do the Mae Hong Son Loop sometime in the next few days. It looks like an awesome route that takes you through Mae Hong Son and Pai and lots of non touristy areas. Was thinking it would be more fun and safer to have a companion. Let me know if this might suit your fancy! Cheers and happy travels!

Amy

#1 ABJunkie has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/12/2011 at 14:43

Probably can't get away for that ride now (too busy) but I've been doing some day rides around Doi Inthanon , Samoeng and Doi Pui lately, this being the prime biker season. Just some advice - get a KLX250 or D-Tracker250, go past Pai 40-odd km to Soppong (Pang Mapha) and stay at Soppong River Inn or Cave Lodge (nice spots) then down to MHS then Khun Yuam and Mae Sariang. Mae Chaem also has some basic guesthouses and of course the Doi Inthanon summit (got down to 1C degrees a couple nights ago - brrrr!). There's also a nifty back-door route from Doi Inthanon (turn left on the 1284 road just below the park headquarters) to Khun Wang (gorgeous with all the wildflowers now) then peaceful but sometimes pot-holed road to Huay Tong then right at the 1013 intersection to Mae Win, Mae Wang and Sanpatong, then highway back to Chiang Mai. Go buy the Mae Hong Son Loop GT-Rider map available at Chiang Mai shops (many bike places in CM sell them for 250b, laminated best map available) and have a good ride. Allow 5-7 days for the full loop via Mae Sariang and Doi Inthanon.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.