Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Posted by Warriorcandy on 1/12/2011 at 19:10

hello! my husband and i are going to be spending our honeymoon in the thai islands from Dec. 23rd until the 28th. (we will be in other countries prior afetr flying into bangkok but this is the true honeymoon portion). I was wondering if any of you could recommend guest houses/ resorts and the best islands/ beaches. what i want ideally is:

none of the tourist traps, ultra western looking, ridiculously high priced nightlife scene but instead:

A nice hut/room on the beach facing the ocean that is air condition ready, has clean enough sheets to sleep on and a beautiful romantic look. preferably with nearby or on site restaurants, snorkeling, and shopping but not so nearby its a mad party house. something moderate. i want to be very comfortable and enjoy some moderate luxury but in an organic way. i like traditonal asian style. i also like good beaches with clear water.

my husband has already done Koh Tao and he despises Ko Phi phi and phucket. we were thinking of maybe doing both Koh Chang and then either Koh Mak or Koh Lanta.

What do you guys think? is there a place that is a nice happy medium. I loved Ba mae resort but they don't have any rooms on the beach or facing the ocean. i also like the look of Big Easy in Ko Mak but it's a tad pricey at xmas.

All your comments and help are deeply appreciated, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

#1 Warriorcandy has been a member since 12/11/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by tezza on 4/12/2011 at 00:28

If you do Chang Ko Mak is way more obvious - it's a real stretch to Ko Tao from Chang - I'd say it would take more than a day.
One problem with Chang-Mak - not great snorkelling from the beach. But okay on the offshore snorkelling trips.

I stay mainly budget, but one good value midrange place which is way different on Chang is Grand Lagoona. Maybe you could check Agoda etc for details.
A pretty romantic Thai type place with spectacular landscapeand good snorkelling off the beach at Tao is Ko Nangyuan Resort (Nangyuan is a small cluster of sand connected islets about 1km off Tao's north west coast).

When I first started reading your post I automatically thought of Ko Ngai in the Andaman as a suitable place with a small bunch of nice midrangers. If you want a second spot not far away which is real different you could consider Ko Laoliang.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.