Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand diving / snorkel in January

Posted by lashend on 27/12/2011 at 07:20

Hi everyone,

Thanks for fielding this question. Variations on it have been asked, but I'd really like to get your take on 'the specifics'.

I'm heading to Thailand in January, and I'd like to do EITHER diving or snorkeling. I understand that this time of year the Andaman coast is better than the Gulf Coast. However, I also read everywhere that Koh Tao is the 'top-recommended' place for dive LESSONS.

I've dived once before and loved it, and I thought about maybe taking the PADI open water course. However, I don't feel like I 'have to', and I'm open to the idea of 'just snorkeling', too. So ..

QUESTION 1: How much more do you 'see' and 'experience' when diving than when snorkeling? Is it worth the up-scaling of price, etc?

QUESTION 2: Can you help me choose a place? As I said, I see there's that tension between 'Andaman coast is in season' and 'Koh Tao is best for dive courses'.

And, I know I can't 'have it all at once', but I would add that I'm not looking at all for partying, and if I could avoid crazy people getting drunk all around me, that would be my preference. (And I understand ... that's Koh Tao, right?) I don't want to be antisocial in total, but that's just not really the scene I'm looking for.

I'd like to be budget-conscious and as low cost as possible, but I don't necessarily need to find the very cheapest option out there.

And I love good food and cooking! Any place that might have a better culinary reputation (I don't know if it's at all different in different places of the south?) wins points!

Thank you - all your ideas and advice are much, much appreciated!!

#1 lashend has been a member since 27/12/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by guava_girl on 27/12/2011 at 19:58

The Andaman has the best diving in Thailand. Koh Tao is okay but it is more for backpackers not wanting to spend the extra money. The similans and surin islands are the best dive sites in the country so I would recommend going to the Andaman side.

Koh Tao is best if you want a bargain, but the Andaman (mainly Khao Lak) is famous among divers and has much more to offer in terms of marinelife.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by busylizzy on 27/12/2011 at 20:03

I found that Koh Tao wasn't great for snorkelling in January. Water was too rough and choppy and was a bit murky compared to other times of the year. I would stay on the Andamans side for that reason alone.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by lashend on 28/12/2011 at 17:16

Thank you both!

I think I will stick with the Andaman side.

now ... to choose from among the loads of places on that side ...! What a nice challenge to have :) Tips still most welcome, thank you all very much.

#4 lashend has been a member since 27/12/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.