Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai hotels

Posted by heavanse on 9/1/2012 at 20:11

Hi,

I'm going to be in Chiang Mai from Feb 25 - Mar 26. Does anyone know of any good, reasonably priced (cheap) places to stay?

Thanks,
Michelle

#1 heavanse has been a member since 2/3/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by exacto on 9/1/2012 at 20:27

Hi Michelle,

There are dozens, depending on what level of comfort you need.

One that looks really good and old-school cheap to me is Ginny Place. It is in a great location inside the moat. You can read about it here: https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailandadditions/7991_ginny-place-guesthouse-in-chiang-mai

Another favorite is CM Blue. You'll find details at: https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai/all/1822

Are you looking to stay at the same place for the entire month or to move around to explore different parts of the city? Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by whardy on 9/1/2012 at 21:26

A traveler favorite is A Little Bird Guesthouse in the old city. It's one of the cheapest at 100 baht for a dorm bed and full of many like-minded wanderers.

If that doesn't suit you or your style, your best bet is just to show up and shop around before you buy or book online. There's hundreds of little guesthouses all over the old city, many that aren't on any websites so just walk around an area (I'd recommend Moon Mueang area just for the density of accomm) and pick one. There are many cheap places, say under 400 baht, so not to worry about not booking ahead and not having a place at a good price.

#3 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Posted by heavanse on 11/1/2012 at 00:47

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm taking a TEFL class near chiang mai university and, unfortunately, most of the places I've found online or were recommended are about an hour walk away. I think I'm going to have to arrive a day or two early and look around.

Thanks again for your help!

#4 heavanse has been a member since 2/3/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by whardy on 11/1/2012 at 03:54

Your best bet is to rent a motorbike, that'll open your world up. I'm not sure of much over in that area, but if you look hard you'll find it. If you have to commute, it may be a pain, but only 20-30 baht one way (around $1 USD).

#5 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.