Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai to Laos train or plane?

Posted by TommyKay on 12/1/2012 at 07:07

Travelling from south to north of thailand. Planning on leaving from Chiang Mai with my next destination being Laos (unsure really where in Laos I want to start off but Vientiane seems as good a place as any). So do I use train or plane? Whats the most hassle free option in terms of border crossing? The cheaper option may also be favoured! Flights are looking to be around £200, Ive had a look on seat61 and can't find anything about travelling from chiang mai..........

#1 TommyKay has been a member since 2/11/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by caseyprich on 12/1/2012 at 08:08

Chiang Mai, I think you can only fly into Luang Prabang . Only way to take a train would basically be to go back down to BKK and then book a ticket to Nong Khai - you get off the train there and then cross into Laos. Otherwise you go overland Chiang Kong/Huay Xia. Probably the cheapest option - and you can onward travel overland to Luang Nam Tha for some hiking or take the boat down to Luang Prabang.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by DLuek on 12/1/2012 at 09:13 TF writer

Yes, no real train option here.

Cheapest thing would be to take a bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, then switch to a bus bound for Nong Khai or Vientiane . This is a rather grueling 15+ hour bus trip, however.

Flights direct from Chiang Mai to Vientiane or Luang Prabang are very expensive considering it's not too far a distance. The cheaper thing to do is check www.nokair.com for their direct flight from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, then switch to a bus from there.

Alternately, you could head north and cross into Laos at the Chiang Khang / Huay Xai crossing and head south from there by boat on the Mekong. For info on that check the Laos slow boat thread.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by inspiredbykrissi on 12/1/2012 at 10:05

I reccomend a bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Here you can change for a bus to Nong Khai and then onwards to Vietiane, Laos. Flying will be expensive.

#4 inspiredbykrissi has been a member since 9/12/2011. Posts: 68
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 12/1/2012 at 10:45

It's going to suck no matter what you do. Flying will be expensive, train/bus is going to take a LONG time.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 12/1/2012 at 13:23

TK,

If you are already in Chiang Mai, then logistically it makes no sense to start your Laos trip in Vientiane . From Chiang Mai, do exactly as DLuek says and cross into Laos at Chiang Khong/Huai Xai. From there you can work your way south through the country, with a stopover in Vientiane on the way. Cheers.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by n8sand on 12/1/2012 at 23:50

They are right. Start north and work your way south. You'll be much happier if you travel bit by bit in Laos. Plus, the north is not to be missed. You'll see an amazing part of the country.

#7 n8sand has been a member since 18/12/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 13

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/1/2012 at 23:19

Ditto the above, get a bus or minivan from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong then work your way through the north and down. This is more logical and very easy to do, you'll be in the company of dozens of folks doing same same in fact. Take a slow boat to Luang Prabang or deviate slightly via Luang Namtha, Muang Sing, Nong Khiaw, Muang Ngoi, Phonsavan (still touristy but not as thick as Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng). Entering Laos via Vientiane makes sense only if you're heading further north after (Vietnam, China).

#8 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by TommyKay on 8/3/2012 at 21:35

Thanks for all the advise guys I think we will definatley go with the Khang / Huay Xai border crossing and make our way down through the country, not going to miss a trip down the Mekong!
Brilliant and helpfull advice as always, getting closer to our flight date now in October and we're getting excited!!

#9 TommyKay has been a member since 2/11/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by TommyKay on 8/3/2012 at 23:09

... One other thing with regards to this route of traveling, im under the impression that to get a free Thai 30 day visa we need to have proof of onward travel, what would that be if taking this route... ?

#10 TommyKay has been a member since 2/11/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by RACHYPF on 11/3/2012 at 17:24

Hi take the slow boat form the Thai/Laos border 2 days floating through beautiful scenery, dont be tempted by the speedboat and pack a jumper.

#11 RACHYPF has been a member since 13/11/2009. Posts: 42

Posted by Batman on 11/8/2014 at 09:12

Hi folks, Myself and my partner are going traveling around SEA and have our flights booked into Thailand but I read that in order to enter Thailand you must have proof of a bus/boat/plane ticket out of the country at some stage. I have tried booking tickets online but cant seem to find a website that will allow me to book a bus or the slow boat from Chiang Mai to Loa or even any kind of transport out of Thailand. Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shauna :-) x

#12 Batman has been a member since 11/8/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by SiamGarden on 23/8/2014 at 22:46

In the north of Thailand, there is also the option to go to Laos via the international Thai-Lao border of Huay Khon - MuangNgeun, in northern Nan province. From Muang Ngeun (Lao), it is possible to go to Pakbeng, or to Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, via Sanyabuli.

#13 SiamGarden has been a member since 20/5/2012. Location: Thailand. Posts: 37

Posted by MADMAC on 24/8/2014 at 10:57

I have cross the land border into Thailand numerous times and flown in numerous times as well and never once was asked for proof of onward travel. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it would surprise me if it did.

#14 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by cpicking92 on 2/9/2014 at 13:13

MADMAC - with regards to entering Thailand via land, do you know what the current visa waiver is? Some sources say 15 days and some say 30? Will make a huge difference to my route around SEA so would love some help.

Thanks!
Charlotte

#15 cpicking92 has been a member since 27/8/2014. Posts: 12
 Instagram 

Posted by SiamGarden on 2/9/2014 at 18:44

It depends from your nationality. This nationalities get 30 days: US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy and Japan

#16 SiamGarden has been a member since 20/5/2012. Location: Thailand. Posts: 37

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/9/2014 at 01:16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand

"Effective 1 November 2013 citizens of G7 countries (U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Canada, and Japan) can also receive 30 days visa-exempt entry overland"

#17 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by cpicking92 on 3/9/2014 at 04:04

Thanks so much everyone! :-)

#18 cpicking92 has been a member since 27/8/2014. Posts: 12
 Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.