Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Proof of onward travel: Ho Chi Minh-Seoul flight sufficient?

Posted by sunshine422 on 7/2/2012 at 01:25

I'll be flying Air Asia from KUL to Chiang Mai. There are plenty of stories going both ways about needing/not needing to show proof of onward travel to either the airline or Thai immigration. My question--is showing an onward airline ticket from Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam to Seoul, Korea considered proof (I'm traveling by land Thailand to Cambodia to Vietnam), or does the ticket need to be specifically out of Thailand?

#1 sunshine422 has been a member since 7/2/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 7/2/2012 at 08:16 TF writer

Hi,

I'd say it's a 99% chance that Air Asia will not ask for proof - typically that's only done when flying a major mainstream airline from US, Europe and the like. Once you're in the region it's normally fine; I've yet to hear from anyone who have ever been asked for proof by Air Asia, when flying from anywhere to anywhere.

If by some chance they do ask I'm fairly certain a flight from HCMC to Seoul plus an honest telling of your plan to travel over land through Cambodia would be more than acceptable. It's really not necessary, but if you're really worried get your Cambodia or Vietnam visa in advance - that's as good (if not better) proof that you're leaving Thailand as an e-ticket print out to wherever.

Happy travels,

DL

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,171
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by daawgon on 7/2/2012 at 23:43

I agree. Thousands of travelers fly into Chiang Mai, and then travel overland to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by THEIBC on 15/2/2012 at 15:59

We only ever needed to show proof of exit for Thailand when getting a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vietnam. When we got to Thailand they didn't ask for it so I'm sure you'll be OK

#4 THEIBC has been a member since 12/10/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 20
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.