Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thai tourist visa

Posted by CMD on 9/2/2012 at 14:29

Hi,

I'm doing an around the world trip starting in a few weeks and will be flying into Thailand and then travelling overland to Cambodia and Vietnam before returning to Thailand. I dont have any proof that I am leaving Thailand within 30 days. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was thinking I could maybe just book a cheap flight out of Thailand (as proof for my airline) which I may not use as want to travel by train mainly.

Thanks

#1 CMD has been a member since 9/2/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 9/2/2012 at 22:43 TF writer

Where are you flying into Thailand from?

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by CMD on 10/2/2012 at 06:42

I'm flying from London to Dubai and then to Thailand.

#3 CMD has been a member since 9/2/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 10/2/2012 at 07:18 TF writer

Then yes I would recommend buying a cheap one-way out of Thailand. Probably less than a 50/50 chance they'll ask you for it but they asked me last time I flew one-way into Thailand from New York. Air Asia one-way Bangkok > HCMC shouldn't run more than US $40 or so. Look around for deals, KL is also usually cheap.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by guava_girl on 10/2/2012 at 20:25

Buy a ticket from BKK to Phenom Pehn. Then you can fly there and travel by land north back into Thailand.

#5 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by SBE on 11/2/2012 at 02:32

"flying into Thailand and then travelling overland to Cambodia and Vietnam before returning to Thailand."

It's a pity to throw away a flight ticket!! If you flew to Vietnam first you could come back to Thailand overland via Cambodia. This would save you some backtracking.

eg Fly from Bangkok to Hanoi on Air Asia, down the coast to Ho Chi Minh, then on to Phnom Penh from there. Then back to Bangkok overland from Siem Reap.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Toxifer on 13/2/2012 at 07:01

I've only been to Thailand once, but when I looked it up before I left just a month or so ago most people seemed to say to not worry about it. And as far as I remember the immigrations officer didn't say a single word to me either and I got stamped in just fine. I flew from Canada via the US and Japan. Of course an Air Asia flight can be extremely cheap, so for peace of mind you may find it to be worth it.

#7 Toxifer has been a member since 10/5/2011. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.