Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Help itinerary Thai/Laos/Viet in 4-5wks possible?

Posted by helmo645 on 16/2/2012 at 01:27

Hi everyone,
Me and my girlfriend (19 and 18) are planning a trip from Aus to do a backpacking trip around a bit of Asia and firstly are wondering how many days you would book for a trip like ours and how many to allocate to each place and major places to visit... Plan is to initially travel to Phuket and from there move our way north through thailand, through laos and do the vang vieng thing , then onto vietnam where we will travel to Hanoi and visit ha long bay hopefully and then travel some of vietnam not sure howmuch..

Note all travel between places will be sleeper trains and busses... So if this was your trip how would you split it up ? [img]smileys/worry.gif[/img] also maybe could you help with how long the transport between each place will be... thinking 4-5weeks all up is it possible

#1 helmo645 has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by MADMAC on 16/2/2012 at 03:30

Phuket to VV alone is a LONG WAY unless you fly. VV to Hanoi is a LONG WAY too. From Phuket to Hanoi you are talking a week in transit, which will suck A LOT.

This is a recurring theme here, but since you brought it up, SEA isn't about seeing things or places. Not that there aren't places to things to see, there are. But Europe is certainly a whole lot better in the "things to see" department. What makes this place special is the chilled out pace of life. This is a great place to be a bum. Move slowly, from place to place, on no particular timeline. Five weeks is enough time to hang out in Thailand if you want to chill out and have a good time. MAYBE, if you started in Bangkok and moved north, enough time to make it to VV at a leisurely pace. Phuket to Hanoi, via bus/train - you are talking real pain. It's a vacation, which is suppose to be fun (at least in my view). If it were me, I'd cut the geograghical space WAY down.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.