Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Day trips out from Ao Nang

Posted by kriskeogh on 16/2/2012 at 05:23

We have five days there and don't really want it to be anything more than a place to sleep so what is worth doing as days out or combining two shorter trips into one day, like sea kayaking in a morning and then something else in the afternoon.

We definately want to do a trip to Phi Phi and to Ko Lanta but what else is worth doing?

#1 kriskeogh has been a member since 16/11/2011. Posts: 34

Posted by captainbkk on 17/2/2012 at 02:20

then you have clearly chosen the wrong place to stay-why have all that trouble going in+out any day for visits-stay in Krabi town and enjoy the balmy evenings at the foodmarket pierside and lower prices. All those islands pretty much look the same to me-beach, bungalows etc. You might consider-if you stay Krabi-town, a trip out to a little further PangNga-with the James Bond scenery rocks in the sea.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by kriskeogh on 17/2/2012 at 06:07

Thanks for your reply, Ao Nang was more down to my wife than me as she wanted somewhere with a beach and some shops/bars and places to eat. We haven't booked the hotel there yet, it is pay on arrival or cancel before hand.

I want to do a trip to Ko Lanta too as originally we were gonna spend our last week in Thailand island hopping from Langkawi northwards finishing up at Krabi then flying back to BKK.

#3 kriskeogh has been a member since 16/11/2011. Posts: 34

Posted by captainbkk on 21/2/2012 at 02:48

1. Krabi town-why even wonder about it-is full of bars. places to eat etc-remember that evening night market I mentioned?-but is not that noisy or scream+shout+drink too muth as Phuket or Samui.
The prob with ANg is the cumbersome way you have to make every day-first out to Krabi town-then to busstation-and back late afternoon (nothing runs after 18.00-except private hire)-if you stay there, sit put and do the beachy things. As any guidebook would also have explained.
As you asked about to Lanta: daft easy-and again a guidebook thing; the normal way (that means not for tourists who think they should go by boat-as its an island) is the hourly van Krabi town-via carferry into Lanta, also a lot faster and much more choice of times as that ferry. It uses the main orad and hence bypasses the airportturn off too. For a day out to there-need I really need to say you could also combine these 2 means?

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.