Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Tailor prices

Posted by CalgaryJen on 15/3/2007 at 01:51

One of my friends wanted me to look into getting her wedding dress (very simple design) custom made in Bangkok. She'll be giving me her sizes and pictures of the design she wants and she does have enough time that if it doesn't work out she can just buy one in Canada.

Anyway, my question is: Does anyone know the approx. price of getting a dress made? thanks.

#1 CalgaryJen has been a member since 21/2/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by MJS on 19/4/2007 at 20:44

i don't have a indicatication of the price but i'm not sure you'll be able to get a dress made in Bangkok. i had a dress made, which sucked and was not worth the money. while my two travel male companions each had two fabulous looking suites made. the second time i accompanied my travel companion to the tailor, there were two women getting dresses made. again, the dresses looked horrible. though the women themselves didn't seem to notice. my point is: not sure if the tailors in Bangkok know how to make a dress or any other female clothing. And if some tailors do, i don't know where to find them.

#2 MJS has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by JanNiklas on 19/4/2007 at 21:35

It is possible to make such a suite in Bkk, when you have the right and exact sizes. But don't do it in the Khao San Road or nearby, they are quite cheap there (50- 100 Us-Dollar) but the quality is really bad. You find many indian tailor shops all over Bkk, they make you a nice suit in about 1-2 days for about 200- 250 US-Dollar. That is still very cheap and quality is good.

#3 JanNiklas has been a member since 19/4/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by wayne on 20/4/2007 at 22:47

I am not sure of how good these wedding dress shops are, but very close to Khao San Rd (the street that burger king is on end of Khao San Rd). Maybe called Tanao Rd, we used to call it wedding dress street?? Cant remember really but if you are facing Burger King after walking up the end of Khao San RD take a left and about 150m up the street on the left hand side you will find about 3 wedding dress shops (well have not been for a year or so, but they have been there for a long time). They design wedding dresses for Thai's perhaps poke your head in there and see what you think. :)

#4 wayne has been a member since 1/2/2004. Posts: 23
 Send wayne a private message 

Posted by alisonmilliken on 23/4/2007 at 15:09

I have had some success getting women's clothes made in BKK. I got a good dress made for my friend's wedding... My sister also got some dresses made, and they turned out fine. BUT if you are not able to try on the dress as it goes, that is not so good. You really need to try things on...!
One of my friends got a dress made and had trouble because she is very curvy... not like Thai girls... it took 4 times trying it on to get it to fit right... Although when it was done it was really nice!
If you want to have a go at getting the dress made in BKK, then there is a wedding dress shop in MBK shopping centre that has nice things... (On level 3 as you walk in from the Skytrain entrance). Or there is another wedding dress shop near the Skytrain station at Rathchathewi- just along from the Asia Hotel. maybe one of these would be better than juat a tailor... ALISON

#5 alisonmilliken has been a member since 10/12/2006. Posts: 70

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.