Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

stolen things on the bus from krabi to ko phangan

Posted by danig on 16/3/2007 at 10:07

we booked a bus from krabi to ko phangan - after about 3 hours we had to change the bus in the middle of nowhere! without an obvious reason! in this bus our luggage was stored downstairs in the first class part of the bus!
in ko phangan we recognised that our backbags where repacked incorrectly!
and there where missing about 100 dollars! we where talking to some of the other passengers, wich had the same problem, also missing money! we can not do something because we dont even know the name of the travelagency! we only got the typical sticker with the destination on it! and on this was written ANDAMAN!

#1 danig has been a member since 16/3/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by tails101 on 16/3/2007 at 21:19

Unfortunately this is quite a common scam with non-government, cheap, backpacker VIP bus services in Thailand (or at least it was a couple of years ago...).

It never happened to me, but I know of several people that lost money/valuable that they'd left in their main packs whilst using these services and several more that could tell their bags had been gone through.

With the set-up on the buses, whilst your sat upstairs, someone downstairs tends to be working through the bags seeing what they can find.

I know this is of no comfort to you at all, and sorry to hear you've lost money... All I can suggest is if you ever use this type of bus again - always keep all your valuables with you... That way, even if they go through your bag, there is nothing for them to take... or try government buses instead, where this doesn't seem to happen.

Happy travelling!
Mark

#2 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Send tails101 a private message   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.