Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

thailand for a month/year

Posted by hoozah on 26/2/2012 at 18:15

say if a person wanted to stay in thailand for a month how much is the average person going to spend? if one liked thailand enough to stay for a year, how much would one be looking at to spend for a year? this is including rent/food/utilities i guess. i've been googling different sites and seeing what people say. some estimate 5000 baht/month others estimate 40,000 baht/month. the figures are pretty skewed.

ty

#1 hoozah has been a member since 26/2/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by busylizzy on 26/2/2012 at 18:26

I would guess that it depends on whether you want to live like a King or a Pauper. You'll have to describe what kind of living conditions you are looking for. What area of Thailand, an apartment? With WiFi? With Pool?

Not that I can give specific advice on living costs, but the same questions to whether you are travelling or living there for a year.CrankyCarrot can probably help - but he'll need more info on your expectations.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by guava_girl on 26/2/2012 at 18:42

Doubt you can live on 5,000 a month. I would say on average aim at around 12,000 to 15,000 as a minimum. If you drink a lot and like to eat out as opposed to cooking at home than this can double.

#3 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by goonistik on 26/2/2012 at 23:13

To help you put things in perspective, 5000 baht a month is about 170 baht a day. The minimum wage in Thailand varies from 159 baht to 215 baht per day depending on the area.

guava girl is about right for 12k to 15k as a minimum starting point.

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by hoozah on 27/2/2012 at 22:18

Right now I'm saving about $2,400 CND a month. That converts to about 73k baht a month. That's obviously way above 12k-15k. I'd be looking for like a 1-2 bedroom home, with a decent location, food, utilities, internet and a mode of transportation (motor bike?). I'm not looking to live lavishly, just have a life time experience, enjoy the culture, nice weather (it is -40 degrees Celsius here some days) maybe learn the language a bit. The reason I say a 1-2 bedroom is because maybe if i like it enough a family member could fly down for a bit and I'd have the space for them. I'm 22 and I don't drink or party. This would be more of a life/learning experience then a college get away.

#5 hoozah has been a member since 26/2/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by hoozah on 27/2/2012 at 22:21

also, i was looking at airplane tickets to fly there for June this summer for 2-3 weeks during my vacation. The prices on kayak are giving me about $2,000 to leave on a monday (round trip). It seems a bit steep for a round trip. Is that normal (flying from Alberta, Canada).

#6 hoozah has been a member since 26/2/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by goonistik on 28/2/2012 at 00:34

Try this website.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

For flights that long, $2000 seems to be about par for the course but you can do better. Using the ITA website, I think there were deals for CAD 1350 to 1600.

I think 40K will be plenty. Again, that depends on your activities, the area, and your lifestyle.

#7 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.