Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Teaching English in Thailand

Posted by biissir on 28/2/2012 at 13:14

I am a not-native teacher who has got nine years of experience of teaching,
with an MA in linguistics and Cambridge CELTA. I am planning on teaching
in Thailand and I am going there in April. I have heard that schools seek for native teachers.
Do I still have a chance to get a teaching position at schools or language institutes?
I do believe that I have got great teaching skills but I am afraid it might be misconsidered in Thailand since I am a non-native teacher. Mehdi

#1 biissir has been a member since 28/2/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by time2fly on 28/2/2012 at 16:57

I know a few people from CA who have went over to teach with no issues. I don't really know the answer ... sorry

#2 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by DLuek on 28/2/2012 at 21:53 TF writer

Hi,

Many schools do look for native teachers, but with an MA in linguistics and a CELTA, I'm fairly certain you'll be okay. May I ask where you are from?

Also, if you haven't yet you'd be wise to post your questions in the forum at www.ajarn.com, which is an outstanding resource for TEFL teaching in Thailand.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 29/2/2012 at 08:16

There are plenty of non-native speaking teachers here. You will occassionally hear negative commentary about their language abilities, but invariably they are far better (with emphasis on far) to what the kids would otherwise get. People looking for perfect worlds tend to forget this fact. I knew a guy in Saimun from Ghana who was a teacher, and while his English was heavily accented, it was gramatically correct and he had a degree in teaching to boot. He was a good and dedicated teacher who was hired because the teaching staff in Saimun had no one with any English language skills at all. So, with you qualifications, I am sure you could find a job, as long as you are not picky about the location. And that's great advice from DLuek ajarn.com is a very useful place to start.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.