Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Any good tour packages to Chiang Mai for spring break?

Posted by luoldeng9 on 2/3/2012 at 12:57

I'm currently in the US but I have a week-long spring break starting in a week from now. I'll be traveling alone and I'm now thinking of taking a trip to Taiwan, Japan, or Thailand. I hope to spend 7 days in a foreign country. I've never been to any of those places before. If I go to Thailand, I would like to check out Chiang Mai

Does anyone have any experience with the package tours? I am thinking I could also just go out on my own unless I hear great things about the tours. However, I only speak English fluently and cannot even read any other languages, so that's why I'm not sure if it's worth it to travel alone

#1 luoldeng9 has been a member since 2/3/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 2/3/2012 at 20:43

It is easy to do on your own - and I'd recommend that over any package tour. With only 7 days you'll just see BKK and Chiang Mai , and to save time and make life easier I'd recommend booking a flight between the two. Once in Chiang Mai there are plenty of things to do and tour operations to choose from for day or overnight trips into the hills to the west - many with fluent English speaking guides. You also won't find a shortage of people to meet and relax with in either of those two locations.

To make life as simple as possible I'd recommend booking the flight before you leave (or a train ticket if you'd rather experience that as well - a nice time, but usually better with friends) and maybe pre-book your accommodations both in BKK and Chiang Mai. Plenty of good information on this site for that, or the usual hotel/hostel listening pages.

As for your selection - I do recommend Thailand, as Japan and Taiwan will prove to me much more expensive.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/3/2012 at 02:28

Quite hazy weather here in CM at the moment. It happens every Feb/March. Anyway you can just get here and arrange whatever you want to do via your guesthouse or a travel agency. Or just rent a scooter, get a good map and go exploring. Don't pre-book tours from the US you'll end up paying way too much. Also you can avoid Bangkok by flying straight to CM via Seoul or Taipei. Many tourists come here year-round and locals speak enough English for you to get by.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.