Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

90 Day in 6 month rule, stamped for 109 days

Posted by dragonseeker on 5/3/2012 at 01:49

Having spent 49 days in Thailand two months ago, I arrived at the border from Laos this morning expecting only another 41 days to make up the 90 days in any 6 months rule. The border immigration officer has stamped an exit date of 3 May in my passport which will bring me up to 109 days.
I would like to spend all the 60 days here but don't want to pay an overstay fine. Should I;
1. Stay 60 days and plead ignorance whilst pointing at the exit date in the passport OR
2. Be a good boy and leave before my accumulated 90 days is up?
I want to return again so don't need a black mark against my name.
What would you do?

#1 dragonseeker has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by DLuek on 5/3/2012 at 03:45 TF writer

I'm not sure where you heard about this 90 day in 6 month rule... ? As far as I know it's currently a limit of three consecutive tourist visas and/or a maximum of three 90 day stays in a row. Even if that's the "official" case there are still people who are getting more visas after that... Check out some of the visa posts on www.thaivisa.com.

If you have a 60 day tourist visa with an exit stamp for May 3 then you are legally entitled to stay for the duration of the 60 days, and you could even extend it another 30 days by visiting immigration. So don't worry.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by dragonseeker on 5/3/2012 at 20:42

Thanks DLuek, I guess I was looking at some old forum posts and jumped to the wrong conclusions. I will happily spend the next 60 days here.

#3 dragonseeker has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.