Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chang Mai

Posted by catherine25 on 13/3/2012 at 12:28

Hi all

Any and all advice please on what we should do in Chang Mai for 5 nights - is this a decent amount of time to spend there? Also any surrounding places worth a visit?

Thanks!!

#1 catherine25 has been a member since 25/5/2010. Posts: 34

Posted by ryder80 on 13/3/2012 at 12:42

i had a great time last year in chiang mai, spent about 2 weeks there, so cheap and affordable there...

there's doi suthep temple up along the mountain, i suggust renting a motor-bike and going up there yourselves, but be careful when riding especially if you haven't before, there are alot of nice winding and curving roads, perfect for those who ride,

there's also a zoo and tiger temple park, but i never went to those...

there's also night markets just outside the square too...

oh inside the square there's a great fruit shake stand, inside the market... i'm at work right now, but can look into the details for this place, very popular place to hangout and re-fresh yourself...

when i was in chiang mai, i also went to pai and mae hong song...

#2 ryder80 has been a member since 19/12/2010. Posts: 83

Posted by RACHYPF on 13/3/2012 at 16:53

Agree with above Chiang Mai is amazing and one of my favourite places in Thailand. Excellent trekking in Don Inthanon to villages with beautiful scenery.
Doi Suthep is stunning and well worth a full the very windy steep climb.
The day market up by the river is fascinating, have been here twice and could spend hours wandering around. Enjoy!

#3 RACHYPF has been a member since 13/11/2009. Posts: 42

Posted by exacto on 13/3/2012 at 23:33

catherine,

i initially posted this many years ago, but it may still be useful for you. have a great time.

My essential Chiang Mai list:

- taking the overnight sleeper train either to/from Chiang Mai
- visiting the three temples of Wat U-mong, Wat Singh, and Doi Suthep
- enjoying a walk along the moat
- getting lost in the traditional Thai market on Moon Muang Rd Soi 6
- tasting the curry at Aroon Rai restaurant (profiled in Travelfish)
- getting a massage (try the massage for the blind!)
- a trip through the Night Bazaar, or even better, the Sunday Market
- if you have time, an out-of-town overnight trip to Chiang Dao

I'd like to add a bit of detail to that too. For info on the overnight trip to Chiang Dao, see the Chiang Dao Getaway feature here on Travelfish. It exactly sums up the fantastic experience we had.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by catherine25 on 14/3/2012 at 11:12

Thanks so much for your advice guys!!

I will definitely look into Chiang Dao too, I think we may have time for an overnight trip but not for spending too much time in other places as we only have 5 nights!!

Has anyone ever been to the Tiger Temple - I was looking at reviews on blogs and tripadvisor...everyone seems to have very mixed opinions on it!!

#5 catherine25 has been a member since 25/5/2010. Posts: 34

Posted by Saphir on 14/3/2012 at 17:06

If you click on 'Asia blogs' you will see there is one specifically on Chiang Mai. Might be useful to you.

#6 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Posted by Tonkadolls on 20/3/2012 at 19:59

Hey. The best place to visit in Chiang Mai is the Elephant Nature Park (ENP). It is the most fantastic sanctuary for abused and disabled elephants from the logging and trekking trade. These no rides, or tricks or any exploitation of elephants...... just a place where elephants can be elephants and live out the rest of their years in peace. Most of the other elephant farms/ park in the area are tourist/ trekking camps!!! Please dont go to these as they exploit and abuse their elephants. At the ENP you also get the opportunity to learn about the Asian elephants, the things they have endured and how to help support them. Have a great time, Chiang Mai is a beautiful place and the ENP is truely remarkable.

#7 Tonkadolls has been a member since 20/3/2012. Posts: 1
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.