Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Picture recovery from corrupted SD card

Posted by omarbcn on 23/3/2007 at 23:23

Picture recovery from corrupted SD card

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone (person or store) in Bangkok who could help me recover more than a thousand pictures that I had stored in my 2 GB digital camera SD card (Kingston) and that for whatever reason has been corrupted while attempting to read them with Windows Explorer.

I am afraid of handing my camera card to any internet cafe manager and then have the pix definitely lost forever. That is why I was wondering if anyone has suffered a similar problem here in Thailand and has successfully recovered them. Any suggestion on how to do it or, much better, referral to a pro in BKK would be much appreciated, as this incident may ruin my trip.

Many thank for your advice,

Omar

#1 omarbcn has been a member since 23/3/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/3/2007 at 06:37 admin

Hi Omar,

We're in the process of paying S$2,000 to have around 10,000 images retrieved from a hard drive that died -- believe me I feel your pain!

I'm not sure if the people we dealt with work on flash cards, but it couldn't hurt to drop them a line and see. They're based in Singapore and their website is: http://www.greenergy.com.sg

Good luck!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by skinnylatte on 24/3/2007 at 16:14

Please stop using that card: do not reformat, EVER.

Just buy a new SD card. When you're back home, or somewhere with reasonable amounts of time to spend on a computer, get card reader, load it with that SD card -- and there are free utilities for Windows (and Mac) that will help you recover the contents of that card. the most important thing is that you don't reformat it.

I was in Rajasthan when my 8GB card went corrupt. We spent 12 hours on a dirt slow computer and terrible connection... retrieving the data ourselves.

#3 skinnylatte has been a member since 19/7/2005. Posts: 57
 Website 

Posted by bass_ke on 11/8/2012 at 05:43

Hey mate,

Are you carrying a Laptop with you?

I use Recover my files, Thankfully I've only had to use it once on a card that decided to die halfway through a trip.

When we have our Laptop with us as I import every night into Lightroom and have Lightroom backup the import to a USB Hard Drive at the same time.

Cheer's
Nate

#4 bass_ke has been a member since 23/8/2009. Posts: 18
 Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/8/2012 at 10:20

Make a note of the thread's original date - it's more than five years old! It's usually better to make a new thread.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.