Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Siem Reap

Posted by C3DRFC on 18/3/2012 at 08:16

hey after some advice regarding the above journey.

Whats the best way to travel, preferably over land and has anyone done it recently?

Read a entry on here earlier but it was dated 2006, so just wondering if anyone has any more recent information?

thanks

#1 C3DRFC has been a member since 7/12/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 18/3/2012 at 10:34

I went the other way around a couple of weeks ago.

I crossed at the Poipet border, which is where most buses go through these days. You can buy Cambodian tourist visas at the border for $25 I think.

The whole thing would be pretty easy - I staggered the trip over a couple of days, but I think cumulatively it would be like 6 hours, 7 tops.

Also, I went by minivan - think the cost from each city to the border or vice versa is about $6 US.

#2 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Send CrankyCarrot a private message   Website 

Posted by ivarvd on 25/3/2012 at 09:27

Bangkok to Siem Reap is a bit more challenging than the other way around.
Flights are quite expensive for the distance.
For more info on how to go overland see this page:
http://www.howtogofrom.com/bangkok-to-siem-reap
The 'resource' section in the bottom right has a link to a very recent report of someone doing this trip.
Let us know how it went?

#3 ivarvd has been a member since 8/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by theChosenOne on 27/3/2012 at 00:13

I have never done the trip in that direction but it is fairly painless on a minibus. I assume you can get minibus tickets from Khao san or any other tourist spot. The only thing worth mentioning is that I have had to change bus every time at the border and this wait can be anywhere between 10 minutes and 3 hours. Not that waiting a few hours is a massive hassle, just that it is impossible to get info from anyone. The bus will always be arriving "in 5 minutes".

#4 theChosenOne has been a member since 26/3/2012. Posts: 12

Posted by ninety9 on 19/4/2012 at 02:41

the roads are really good in cambodia now. well that road from poipet to siem reap is anyway. its not too bad but can take a long time queing at the border. theres some good info here http://www.siemreap-cambodia.net/bangkok-to-cambodia/

#5 ninety9 has been a member since 19/4/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by time2fly on 25/4/2012 at 00:11

I flew into Phnom Penh and took the night bus to Siem Reap ...the Bus from PP to Siem Reap was 10.00 and took about 6 hours.

#6 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112
 Send time2fly a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.