Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Phi Phi - Book in Advance?

Posted by alexahart on 10/4/2012 at 05:42

I am currently in Krabi, Thailand. My boyfriend and I are thinking of going to Ko Phi Phi in a few days. Phi Phi seems really pricey online, and a fellow traveler told us that if we just show up and look around, we will be able to find a place and may get accommodation for a better deal.

Does anyone know if we can do that? We would also be arriving on a Saturday. Not sure if that makes a big difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alexa

#1 alexahart has been a member since 10/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by tezza on 10/4/2012 at 23:53

Um, normally I'd say lob up and use the touts at the pier - but Sat thru Monday is Sonkran which is one of the bigger Thai holiday periods - I understand the islands can be pretty busy then.
Knowing this, I booked Sunday night online for my arrival on Phi Phi (and I rarely book ahead when travelling alone).

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by moorhouse22 on 11/4/2012 at 07:02

I have to wonder why travelers are still going to Phi Phi?Very very bad vibes

#3 moorhouse22 has been a member since 9/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by longbeach on 11/4/2012 at 09:38

Phi Phi is expensive however you pay. I'd stay in Krabi.

#4 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by alexahart on 11/4/2012 at 09:39

Thanks Tezza for the advice. Big fan of your blog as well. We ended up booking a place yesterday. However, we are now worried about going since those massive earthquakes just hit, and we had to evacuate from the tsunami warning today in Krabi. It was pretty scary for me, and I am not sure if boats will be running to Phi Phi.

@Moorhouse22 - We've got a bunch of days over in this area, so we were hoping to split our time amongst a bunch of the islands. Also, Phi Phi has some good diving, and we were hoping to do a couple dives. Phi Phi definitely has mixed reviews from travelers, so I understand where you're coming from.

#5 alexahart has been a member since 10/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by longbeach on 11/4/2012 at 09:43

Doubt boats will run tomorrow with a possible tsunami coming in. I'd be staying in Krabi Town and enjoying the markets.

#6 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by alexahart on 11/4/2012 at 10:11

@longbeach - We are enjoying Krabi, so we won't mind sticking around more and seeing the markets. Looks like all the tsunami warnings have been called off, which is great news, but who knows, maybe there will be more earthquakes/aftershocks.

Agoda.com has some good deals. We found a place (rated #1 B&B/Inn on Tripadvisor) on Agoda for a good deal.

#7 alexahart has been a member since 10/4/2012. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.