Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

China Visa in Bangkok?

Posted by Wanderluster on 13/4/2012 at 19:24

I am returning to Southeast Asia for a couple months at the end of April and have an extended layover in Beijing on the way home. My friends and I plan on leaving the airport since we have 11 hours to spare and thought it would be a great opportunity to check out one last place before we head back home to Canada.

I have tried to research the visa situation for China, but have come up with conflicting reports. I know that China does allow airport transfers without visa from Pudong to Hongqiao. On some websites it states that a one entry visa is indeed required for this sort of venture from the airport, but then other sources detail the complete opposite saying that if it is under 24 hours and you have proof of a connecting flight a visa is not required. I have tried to contact the local consulate (which actually directs me to a local travel agent who "thinks" I need a visa) and Canadian Chinese Embassy to no avail. I have read from other people's experiences that they have entered for Beijing without a visa or trouble, while others have been held up because they do not have a visa.

I just simply wanted to know if anyone has done this exact process and if they needed a visa or not.

In addition I was also wondering if any Canadian citizens have gotten Chinese visas while in Bangkok, and if so how long did it take to receive the visa?

#1 Wanderluster has been a member since 24/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 4

Posted by guava_girl on 13/4/2012 at 20:50

When you are in BKK go the the Chinese Embassy, or email them. Here is their website.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by goonistik on 14/4/2012 at 03:27

It seems you need a transit "G" visa. See item no 7 here:

Taking a look the Chinese Embassy in Canada, there is also mention of a "G" visa.

It seems the G visa is for people who will stay longer than 24 hours in the airport or need to leave the airport.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 15/4/2012 at 07:01 is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all.
2. as far as I know but DO doublechech-as you said it was only 11 hrs total- then you do NOT need a visum to prearrange-as Canucks, as BJ is an EXCEPtion to the rule for visum G mentioned-as is also SjangHai. You must present yourself to a special desk in BJ-airport, which will endorse your papers and passpt. does NOT apply to many other nations!! The forum on lonelyplanet has ample info on this-try/check there.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by MADMAC on 15/4/2012 at 07:36

"It is is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all."

I emailed the US embassy with a visa question and got an answer in less than 24 hours (and they called me to boot).

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by ABeaulieu88 on 25/2/2016 at 23:20

My husband and I did a China 72-hour visa free transit layover in Kunming when connecting between Kathmandu and Chiang Mai back in December 2015 and just obtained our Chinese tourist visa (L) in Bangkok this week to travel for three weeks starting tomorrow.

Here's some useful info from our personal experiences:

For the China 72-hour visa free transit policy, we found useful info on for all requirements. In summary, you need to make sure that you hold a valid passport from the list of the 51 qualified countries, that you are transitioning in an airport from the list of airports that have adopted this policy, that you have proof of onward travel to a third country and that you have a visa for that third country or can obtain one on arrival if applicable. Check out this website for more specific details.

As for applying for a Tourist Chinese Visa (L) in Bangkok, here's some changes and additional info to the 2011 post "Getting a Chinese Visa in Bangkok"

Since September 2015, all ordinary passport holders must apply for a Chinese visa at the Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) in Bangkok. Applications are no longer accepted at the Chinese Embassy. The CVASC is located on the 5th Floor of the Thanapoom Tower (1550 New Phetcharburi Road, Makkasan, Bangkok, 10400). It is a 10-15 min walk east from the Phetcharburi subway station. The CVASC website has a great map on this webpage:

We also advise you to book an appointment online in advance (on the CVASC website) so that you can submit your application faster. We book an appointment for 9:00 and were seen maybe 5-10 minutes after.
Know that if you get the regular service, you can submit from 09:00 until 15:00 on the first day and can collect your passport and pay the fees on the fourth day at 09:00. Note that the CVASC is closed one each Chinese and Thai holiday so make sure you check out the holiday notices on the Chinese Embassy in Thailand's website

We paid 3,100 bahts each (2,600 bahts for the visa and 500 bahts for the mandatory CVASC service fee). For Canadians, the fee is always the same for each tourist visa type (single/double/multiple-entries, 6/12/24/36+ months validity). So the best is to ask for a multiple-entry passport for the remaining validity of your passport. Know that the day and month when your passport expires does not matter, only the year. My passport expires on Dec 31, 2019 and our visas were issued on Feb 24 2016 so my visa is good until Feb 24 2018 (2019 minus 1 year), while my husband's passport expires on Jan 5, 2020 so his visa is good until Feb 24 2019 (2020 minus 1 year). Note that our passports were issued only 5 days apart, but all that matters is the year. Each entry is good for 60 days.

As for requirements, we needed one passport-sized photo each, printed copy of our booked flights in and out of China, a proof of accommodation, a copy of our passport photo/data page, and copy of our passport's stamp of entry into Thailand, and a filled-out application form. You can get the application form on the CVASC website.
Instead of providing a receipt of a hotel or hostel booking, we wanted to use an invitation letter from a friend that we are visiting. The template is also available on the website. Unfortunately, we couldn't use that letter because we didn't have pictures of our friend's passport and citizen card. We didn't see mention of this requirement on the Chinese Embassy in Thailand's website, on the Chinese Embassy in Canada's website, on the CVASC's website and in any of the travel forums that I had read beforehand. So we were asked to book our first night in China which would be sufficient. The 2011 Travelfish post "Getting a Chinese Visa in Bangkok" stated that they will ask for an employment letter if you specified that you are a company employee. Note that we did mention that we were company employees and weren't asked to provide employment letters. It may be more applicable to business visa applications.

They will also ask you for a mandatory letter that you type up yourself that says: "To whom it may concern, My name is (your name). I come from (country) holding passport number (passport no.). I'm (what is your occupation). Now I'm (what are you doing in Thailand: travelling, working, etc.) and (what is your purpose to go to China). I will go to (which cities you will go to) from (date) to (date). During my stay in China, I will pay for this trip. I apply for the Chinese visa because I want to (travel in China not for working/for business trip). Best Regards, (name, signature)." You can type up that letter in an internet cafe in the building but note that they will charge you a steep 20 bahts for each page that you print so I suggest you do this at home, as well as print all your documents elsewhere. If you need photocopies, you can do it at the CVASC for 3 bahts/page but it gets quite crowded, so come with all your papers in hand.

Know that you need to get registered as soon as you stay more than 24 hours in China (applies to the 72-hour visa free transit too). If you stay at a hostel/hotel, they should do it for you upon check-in. If you stay with a friend, you need to report to a police station and fill out extra paperwork. You can find more info here:

#6 ABeaulieu88 has been a member since 25/2/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.