Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

help needed with 60 day itinerary

Posted by corey001 on 1/5/2012 at 17:56

I'm going to SEA mid may for 60 days. originally i wanted to hit thailand laos and cambodia. but when i typed out a rough itinerary of where i want to go i ran out of days to see cambodia. am i giving some of these places to many days? not enough? i don't want to be traveling all the time and prefer a laid back trip. any input would be much appreciated

rough itinerary:
land in bangkok : 5 days pre booked
ayuthaya: 2 days
lopburi: 1 day
sukhothai: 3 days
chiang mai: 5 days
pai: 3 days
mae hong son: 3 days
chiang mai - chiang rai: 3 days
25 days total
huay xai crossing: 1 day
luang prabang: 3 days
vientienne: 3 days
mekong to nong khai: 2 days
9 days total
back to bangkok 2 days
kanchanaburi: 4 days
phet buri 2 days
chumphon: 2 days
ko tao: 4 days
ko pha ngan: 3 days
ko samui: 4 days
ko samui to bangkok 2 days
**3 days unassigned.

#1 corey001 has been a member since 1/5/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyprich on 1/5/2012 at 20:14

I'm not sure what this means: mekong to nong khai: 2 days

It is a morning to get from Vientiane to Nong Khai and you probably don't want to spend more than one night there if you feel you're short on time. I think that extra day would be better assigned as a buffer in your travel from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang .

Which brings me to my main point that I think think this is a fine route and a good schedule, but I wouldn't book too much ahead so that you can be flexible if you like. It may be that with what you've paid to get into Laos you'd like to spend more time there - perhaps check out Luang Nam Tha on the way down to Luang Prabang (if going overland) or take a couple nights to get a little out of the way up to Nong Kiaow or Mung Ngoi which is a nice 3/4 night trip north from Luang Prabang.

Keep your schedule loose and think of this as a rough itinerary, but be prepared to scratch one of the 3 islands you are planning on and give yourself more time to relax and get settled into one or two of them - and/or save time for other parts of the trip.

I also think 5 days at the start in BKK is a bit much, give yourself 3 nights to enjoy and get adjusted, and then plan to get back to BKK a couple days early before your flight out. That way, if you change your mind and want to spend more time somewhere else you can and it just comes out of the BKK time at the end of the trip, or you get to spend that time in BKK after returning from a long trip and it feels like coming home.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by longbeach on 2/5/2012 at 18:24

I wouldnt plan too much. You have time to look around and go with the flow.

#3 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by Tilapia on 3/5/2012 at 07:17

You may want to consider going from Sukhothai to Mae Hon Song and then to Pai and Chiangmai, rather than going to Chiangmai - Pai - Mae Hon Song - Chiangmai - Chiangrai ... to avoid backtracking.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,507
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.