Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Nong Khai to Laos

Posted by Kevi19 on 5/5/2012 at 14:27

Traveling from USA 11/2012 for Loi Krathong in Thailand. Considering a train ride from BKK to Nong Khai and then crossing into Laos and staying in the Capital city. Any advice or experience with this adventure will be greatly appreciated.

#1 Kevi19 has been a member since 5/5/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4
 Send Kevi19 a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 5/5/2012 at 16:53

If you're not going to hop off to spend some time in Nong Khai, you can just stay on the train and get off in Thanaleng, about 25 km east of Vientiane.

If you are going to spend some time in Nong Khai, there is public transportation across the Friendship Bridge.

If you're planning on traveling during the holiday, make sure you book your train ticket, and even a place to stay in Vientiane, WAY in advance.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Kevi19 on 6/5/2012 at 01:33

Hey Tilapia, sorry you are under-employed. Seems to be the way of the world...unless it is by choice...if so, forge ahead and enjoy your free time!
Thanks so much for your advice...it is well received...sounds like you know very well of what you speak.
I have limited time (2 weeks) but I will spend some time in Nong Khai. If plans change, you have pointed me in the right direction of staying on the train.
I will book all travel 4 months in advance. Thanks again and Take good care.

#3 Kevi19 has been a member since 5/5/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 6/5/2012 at 03:56

Hey Tilapia, sorry you are under-employed. Seems to be the way of the world..

Huh?!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by altmtl on 6/5/2012 at 04:34

the newbie doesn't get it yet - lol

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Tilapia on 6/5/2012 at 09:38

Thanks for the sentiments, Kevi, but rest assured I am gainfully employed, though at times wish I wasn't.

Enjoy Nong Khai. Try and see a bit more of the area along the river if you can. Maybe rent a motorbike one day and go for a ride.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508

Posted by exacto on 6/5/2012 at 11:31

yo newbie!

if you are staying in nong khai, the easiest and cheapest way into Vientiane used to be the international bus from the nong khai bus station. i don't know if this is still running now that the train is up. if so, it will stop and the bridge to allow you to clear immigration and customs, and then take you all the way into Vientiane for drop off - most likely in the morning market area. both ends of the bus are walking distance from plenty of good places to stay. pretty straight forward.

your friend,

mahout

#7 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Kevi19 on 7/5/2012 at 13:18

Wo Wo Wo stop the clock! All you peeps piling on because I'm a "newbie"...
I thought I was being clever about the under-employed! Am I missing something...lol.
Thanks to all that have responded to my needs so far...
I have decided to spend 3 days in Nong Khai and then move on to Vientiane.

Take good care friends

#8 Kevi19 has been a member since 5/5/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 7/5/2012 at 15:04

Hey Kevi - It was actually me that missing something in the first place and got this whole conversation going. Your reference to underemployed seemed very left field - I had completely missed the context!

Enjoy your trip!

#9 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 7/5/2012 at 22:09

Hey Kevi,

3 days in Nong Khai is great. It's a really good city to chill out in, and it's got some amazing sites, too. The road running west along the river (211) is brilliant all the way to Chiang Khan (and beyond). If you have time, can't recommend a 2-wheeled tour enough.

#10 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508

Posted by Kevi19 on 10/5/2012 at 13:27

busylizzy, no offense taken...it's all in good spirits. I enjoy a good exchange. Thanks for your well wishes.

exacto, thanks for the transportation tips.

Tilapia, your advice is "on the same page" with what I'm interested in doing on this adventure. These notes will travel with me...thanks again.

Looking Forward

#11 Kevi19 has been a member since 5/5/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.