Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand & Siem Reap for 19 Days in July! Critique our itinerary.

Posted by I3igDmsu on 15/5/2012 at 13:11

I have begun the preliminary stages of planning our 19 dayhoneymoon to Thailand/Cambodia in July. We would like to see as much aspossible but relax on the beach and dive for about a week. We enjoy hiking,ruins, and anything adventurous. Here is our itinerary so far:

1.0 Day: Land in Bangkok -> Bangkok (jet lag, markets,shopping)

4.5 Days: Fly to Siem Reap -> Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)-> Fly from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai (leg in Bangkok 4-6 hours total)

4.5 Days: Chiang Mai (elephant rides, temples, trekking,cooking class) -> Fly from Chiang Mai to Ko Samui

6.0 Days: (recommendations on how to dive these days up?) Ko Samui / Ko Pha Ngan / Ko Tao (beaches,spas, full moon parties, beginner dives, snorkeling, waterfalls, kayaking, relax,not rainy season in July here) -> Ferry from Ko Tao to Ko Samui -> Fly KoSamui to Bangkok (need 1 day lag between diving in Ko Tao and/or Pha Ngan andflying)

2.0 Days: Kanchanaburi / Erwan / Hellfire Pass (Bridge OverKwai, temples, caves, memorials, animals, waterfalls, railway)

1.5 Days: Bangkok (markets, temples, massages) -> Fly Home

#1 I3igDmsu has been a member since 15/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 15/5/2012 at 14:58

Day 1 - don't bother doing your shopping at this stage. For starters, you don't want to be lugging stuff around, you will most likely make 'bargaining' mistakes, and you will see other stuff to buy along the way. Leave your Bkk shopping to the end.

Koh Samui/KPN/Tao - I would suggest not trying to do all 3 islands in 6 days. Cut it back to two if you really need to get off of Samui. Koh Phangan is actually quite big and you could easily spend a few days exploring (esp the northern end). trying to get to Koh Tao just means more time wasted checking in/out, finding accom, getting to/from ferry terminals, waiting time, etc, etc. You could possibly look at a day trip from KPN to Koh Tao if you really wanted - for example, a snorkle trip that will circle Koh Tao, stopping at about 7 different snorkle stops including a drop-off on Koh Nang Yuan.

Don't forget it's your honeymoon - you want to have some time to RELAX and enjoy each other's company. Not racing from one place to the next.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by I3igDmsu on 15/5/2012 at 15:18

Thank you for your comments. We really want to scuba dive (beginners) and have heard Ko Tao is best for this and is not as built-up with resorts as Ko Samui and KPN. Thoughts? Also, how many days is too much in Ko Tao?

#3 I3igDmsu has been a member since 15/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by guava_girl on 15/5/2012 at 19:30

You can easily do your diving from Koh Phangan. There is no need to go all the way to Koh Tao. Most dive sites are the same regardless of which island. Koh Tao is not better, just cheaper. The sites are closer to Koh Tao so the costs involved getting to these sites are less, resulting in cheaper diving.

#4 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by busylizzy on 15/5/2012 at 19:52

If you want to go to Koh Tao, then consider skipping Koh Phangan. Alternatively if your flight times allow it, go straight from the airport to ferry to go to KPN, and miss out on Samui....?

I just 3 islands in 6 days is too much. You will lose 1/2 day at least as you move between them by the time you get door to door. That's a lot out of a 6-day allotment, for not much gain. As the others have said, you will end up reaching the same diving spots anyhow.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by time2fly on 18/5/2012 at 17:34

I did 5 days on Koh Tao, 5 on Koh Phangan and 1 on Samui... As a diver, Koh Samui was one of my fav dives sites in the world. I did 7 dives. Lizzy is right, its cheap compared to the other Islands.
Check out "New Way: in Koh Tao, they were awesome and actually the cheapest!! PM me if you want more details. I looked around and it seemed by far the best. Might as well save time as I took a day just finding a place to dive with..

I spent 3 nights in Siem Reap and its was very rushed to see everything.. I did get a lot done but not much relax time - aside for $1.00 foot massages...

#6 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112
 Send time2fly a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.