Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Kanachanaburi - Riverside Lodging?

Posted by 9preciousGems on 16/5/2012 at 10:58

Any personal recommendations for a nice place to on the river in Kanchanaburi ? Budget is midrange.

Im not too familiar with the orientation of Kanchanaburi - do you need to be relatively close to the town for food/transport?

#1 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Posted by Tilapia on 16/5/2012 at 15:51

I thought that Tamarind was quite good when I was there several years ago (hmmmm ... still haven't done my review for it yet). Had one of the floating rooms. Room was big, bed comfy, bathroom, and a nice and big front veranda. Walls were a bit thin, though this would not have been a problem had our neighbours been quieter. Inexpensive. Good location, too. Close to eating spots, bars, shops. If you take the train there from Thonburi Station, it is about a 5 minute walk towards the river. Quite a bit further if you go to K-buri by bus. There are a handful of guest houses in that area.

Have also stayed at Nita Raft House. It's an older place (I stayed there in 1992), though I believe they've upgraded as you can get a room there that costs over B600. It's close to the bus station (about a 5 minute walk), the older part of town with the market and eating places, the Jeath War Museum, and the cool little ferry that chugs back and forth across the river. Where it is isn't as much of a backpacker scene as where the other guest houses are. I prefer it, actually.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,504
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by elizabethnoelle on 22/5/2012 at 03:07

We were in Kanchanaburi a few weeks ago and stayed at a realllly nice place close to the river, called Sabai @Kanchanaburi. It was about 1300 baht per night with a great garden, pool and walking distance to the bridge and river. Would highly recommend! Check out thier website here

You can also read about out trip on my blog
Have a great trip!

#3 elizabethnoelle has been a member since 23/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 14
 Send elizabethnoelle a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by tezza on 27/5/2012 at 04:49

I stayed at a couple of riverside places last April.
Noble Night Guesthouse in town has a variety of rooms down to budget and is surrounded by cheap eats/drinks etc - although its own restaurant was very competitive.

Boutique Raft Resort is a lower-midrange rafthouse place on the river abt 2km from Nam Tok railway station where the Death Railway now terminates. I spent 3 of my more enjoyable days in Thailand there - its restaurant was not bad price wise and there were budget options at Pak Meng pier about 300m away.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.