Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Visa info

Posted by JamieBell on 19/5/2012 at 11:10

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving out to Thailand in October perhaps November, we plan on staying for a couple years or however long we like but will return to the UK when we want to have kids. We plan on staying in Ko Lanta for a few months, then Ko Lipe for a few. We would prob go home for June and July then return or even go to the mainland. I would like some info regarding visa's.

I'll give you our story first. I am a marine engineer and work away for 6 weeks then home for 6 weeks. I can stay anywhere in the world as my company will fly me to my ship. I will not be looking for work when in Thailand but my girlfriend will. Can you advise me on what visas we need. I know my girlfriend will need a working visa but how do you go about getting one and at what cost? Also, I know I can just do some trips to Malaysia and back to renew my tourist visa but is there another option for me so I dont have to do any visa runs? Cheers


#1 JamieBell has been a member since 3/3/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 26
 Send JamieBell a private message 

Posted by guava_girl on 19/5/2012 at 21:32

Your girlfriend can not get a work permit without a job. Same goes for a non-immigrant B visa. You will both have to enter on a tourist visa. I suggest you get a triple entry visa in the UK before you arrive.

Once she finds works then the company should arrange all necessary documents for her work permit and visa. You will have to stay on tourist visas. If you were married you could get a non-immigrant o visa through her (after she gets a work permit).

This means you will have to go to Malaysia every 60 days once the initial triple entry runs out. But if you go back to the UK then you can get another triple entry there. If not, go to Laos where you can get a double entry tourist visa.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.