Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

anti malaria not usually advised in Thailand

Posted by tinacrossman on 24/5/2012 at 07:19

I have just bought 50 Doxycycline tablets for £39 from the 'well travelled clinic in Liverpool' they do have a web site - although we did have to see someone first. She showed me a great web site where you can view a 'malaria map'. - go to 'destinations' - click on the map at the 'east asia region' then click the country you want then select 'malaria map' - you will see that Thailand is low to none risk and anti malarias are not usually advised. remember tho that you need to take for high risk such as Laos, Vietnam ect 2 days before and 4 weeks after so maybe try and plan your trip to visit high risk one after the other. this is the advice I have been given by the well travelled clinic which is a subsidiary of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. See you in August - cant wait!!

#1 tinacrossman has been a member since 19/12/2011. Posts: 19
 Send tinacrossman a private message 

Posted by tinacrossman on 24/5/2012 at 11:39

just looked at the receipt and it was 2 x 50 (100) doxycycline for £39 - bargain!

#2 tinacrossman has been a member since 19/12/2011. Posts: 19
 Send tinacrossman a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 25/5/2012 at 09:47

The only area I have heard where that is considered maybe recommended is out in Loei, and then maybe not. At this point most people think it should just be a treatment.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by altmtl on 26/5/2012 at 07:55

The biggest bargain is spending "0" and not taking useless meds that are not 100% effective.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by exacto on 26/5/2012 at 08:51

Most of the long-time travellers to the region I know don't take anti-malarials. It is a very personal decision, so I'd never say take them or don't take them, but I'm comfortable saying that I don't take them. The problem for me is that I'm not convinced that the potential health benefits are worth the potential health risks or the financial costs.

Instead, what I try to do is use a good bug spray, cover up when needed - particularly at dawn and dusk - and sleep under a mosquito net. I know others have also commented on how important it is to start out healthy and maintain a healthy diet rich in fruits and veggies, which is easy to do on the road in southeast Asia.

In my experience, other insect-borne diseases, like Japanese Encephalitis, are a bigger worry than malaria, and while the anti-malarials can't help with the other stuff, covering up and using bug spray can.

Again, personal choice. Do what makes you comfortable and best fits your style. Cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.