Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Early in Phuket, wanna go to Koh Samui by bus/ferry. Some advice please :)

Posted by NL050 on 24/5/2012 at 12:12

Hello everyone..

I've read a lot on this forum already, which have been great, thx! Now I'd like to have some more detailed info. Hope you can help me!

Next 4th of June I'll arrive at Phuket airport at 2 AM (so early!). I'd like to go to Koh Samui by bus + ferry asap. Best thing to do, from the info I've got now, is go get a government bus or mini van to surat thani or dong sak, then a ferry. Regarding to this some questions:

1) Where should I go to get these busses? And how do I get there? (do people speak English?)

2) What time can I get a bus (or should I get a hotel first)? And should I book in advance? (if so, how?)

3) What's better to go to surat thani or don sak? What's the time/price difference

4) Any other advice, tips or anything else regarding this journey to make it a save, not expensive and maybe a bit comfortable one?! :)

Hope you all can give me some good advice and/or clear info. Looking forward to read it!

A lot of thanks in advance..!!

#1 NL050 has been a member since 24/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 27/5/2012 at 04:33

There are so many variables here. This is what I would do (but I am a dude who can miss a night's sleep):

Catch a taxi from the airport to Phuket bus station in Phuket town. Max 400baht - 35 minutes that time of night.

Tell them at the bus station you want a bus/van-ferry ticket to Samui. People understand English enough to do the job.
My experience is that the bus goes via Khao Lak and Khao Sok (the long way) so you may be looking at 5 hours just to Surathani - but the first bus may be around 5am, considerably earlier than the van. The van takes a shorter route.
You will probably have to change at Surathani town to a bus/van which goes to the pier out of town. Most of the day ferries leave from Don Sak - you would be restricting your options going from town or closer to town. The bus/van to Don Sak is quicker than the ferry down-river from Surathani town.

Okay, if you want to sleep, book a room or a dorm bed at Phuket Backpackers' in Phuket town - they have a good travel desk and can arrange your trip thru to Samui. The van will probably pick you up at the door.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Posted by NL050 on 27/5/2012 at 23:53

Hey Tezza..

What an reply, thank you so much! I feel I'm good to go now..

Thx thx thx!!

#3 NL050 has been a member since 24/5/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.