Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

to book or not to book?!

Posted by tammivalentine on 28/5/2012 at 13:20

Hi there

Please give us some advice!
We are going on honymoon from 24th June- 7th July

My question is firstly does this itinery sound ok and secondly should we book accomodation or not!?

Arrive bangkok 1 night (We have booked our 1st nights accomodation)
Then fly to ko samui 3 nights ( day trip to Ang Thong national park)
Ferry to ko phangan 4 nights ( leave 3 days before full moon party)
Ferry to ko tao 5 nights (scuba diving)
Ferry to chumpon and night train back to bangkok
1 night in bangkok
Fly home

We are looking for beach bungalow (clean but not luxury) type accomodation around $30-40 per night for double room

The reason we are reluctant to book is when we travelled through indonesia the accomodation we did book we were often dissapointed with as there were places that were much nicer and cheaper (mostly not advertised online)

Can we expect to find accomodation as easily on the islands considering that it is over peak season or should we book in advance

Thanks for you advice
:)

#1 tammivalentine has been a member since 31/5/2009. Location: South Africa. Posts: 7

Posted by altmtl on 28/5/2012 at 13:36

Your plan sounds fine and I'd say don't book ahead, it's not peak season and you can pick & choose - cheaper than booking online & you can haggle - :)

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by ayesha on 28/5/2012 at 22:30 TF writer

You should be ok - should - you have a bit of flexibility in budget but it is heading into the very busy time for KPN and the Koh Tao - full moon parties of July / Aug and Sept see a lot of ppl traveling !

However if you are happy to wander and have a look then I reckon you will be ok.

#3 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by Bartje83 on 30/5/2012 at 03:53

I would book ahead on Samui, making it easier to score a good deal at a nice place. Rest should not be a big problem just wandering around, though full moon parties will indeed draw a crowd.

#4 Bartje83 has been a member since 2/5/2012. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 10

Posted by Bartje83 on 30/5/2012 at 03:54

Itinerary sounds just fine, by the way. But why the short time in BKK? It's certainly worth an extra night.

#5 Bartje83 has been a member since 2/5/2012. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 10

Posted by tezza on 30/5/2012 at 04:04

ditto above.

Places to stay. Use travelfish and Google etc to check:

Jungle Club on Ko Samui
Bamboo on Had Yuan (east coast one) Ko Phangan, Plaas on Than Sadet Ko Phangan, Longtail on Thong Nai Pan Yai Ko Phangan and Bottle Beach 1 on Bottle Beach Ko Phangan.
Somewhere on Tanote Bay Ko Tao or (if you don't mind no beach) Hing Wong Bay Ko Tao.
Or of you want to splash a bit out on a flashpacker/lower midrange with fantastic scenery and a romantic vibe after 5pm - Ko Nangyuan Dive Resort which is abt 1km from the north-west corner of Tao.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by tammivalentine on 7/6/2012 at 10:41

Hi there

Thanks so much for the advice

We decided to book just to be safe and we are rather gonna fly back to bangkok so that we have 2 nights there (instead of on the train!)

We have booked at the Jungle club in ko samui, mai pen rai bungalows in ko phangnan and Aow leuk 11 for 2 nights in ko tao and Nangyuan Dive resort for 2 nights
Did a lot of research so hope they all good ones :)

Thanks for a great website!!

#7 tammivalentine has been a member since 31/5/2009. Location: South Africa. Posts: 7

Posted by thaiXplorer on 7/6/2012 at 11:51

hello

you're scuba diver?
sounds like ya wanna stay buisy...
koh pangnan is not good for diving
and southern thailand raining 'bout 40 degrees
try to get night dives at chumphon or koh tao
it's wonderfull!

#8 thaiXplorer has been a member since 16/4/2012. Location: Germany. Posts: 37

Posted by time2fly on 11/6/2012 at 00:21

Ya, I am a diver and Koh Tao was my fav island!! I spent most of my time there. I found the beach bungalow a little more pricey than the other islands as it was a popular spot. The first place I stayed was dirty and around 600bht. I found another place and we ended up paying 600bht for hot water and a fan. I guess if you are willing to pay 30-40 you will get yourself an AC. I am glad I did this island first because we actually spent 2 more days than originally planned.

As what - Bartje83said about Sumai and booking ahead, I agree!! We booked a place from the hotel lobby using their internet because it was cheaper.

As for Phangan - we paid 600bht for a place with A/C - Black and white bungalows in Haad Rin.

#9 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by thomsonmark on 11/6/2012 at 06:07

Hi There,

I will suggest you to book the accommodation once you reach there. Because if you book it online, you may miss some good deals in hotel booking or other cheaper bookings too.

#10 thomsonmark has been a member since 11/6/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by thaiXplorer on 17/6/2012 at 04:03

Nangyuan Dive resort
in tao or Nangyuan?
Nangyuan very expensive and boring!
anything else=very good!

#11 thaiXplorer has been a member since 16/4/2012. Location: Germany. Posts: 37

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.