Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Phi Phi Changes

Posted by tezza on 3/6/2012 at 08:15

I went back to Phi Phi in mid April for a few days. Readers who have previously visited Phi Phi may be interested in the changes I noticed since my 2010 stay:

* There is now a 50 baht entrance fee om the pathway just before the 1st Viewpoint.
* Paradise Resort on Long Beach is now called Phi Phi Blue Sky, Long Beach Bungalows is now Nomads Phi Phi Hotel. Paradise Pearl has added a nice hotel type wing near the western headland. Phi Phi Hill high on the southern headland has closed its cheapest outside bathroom bungalows, adjacent The Beach Resort is building some new bungalows high up the hill which unlike the rest look to not have beach views (so be careful if you are booking this swish joint) - and Maphrao a couple of beaches closer town appears to be now called VK Bungalow.
*Ao Poh's (lower east coast) Poh Resort has closed. The restaurant is being used as a luncheon buffet stop for daytrip speedboats and the bungalows as staff quarters.
*Toh Koh Resort on the mid east coast has some new beachside fan bungalows - at 2800 high season! Strewth!

*There is apparently a new direct ferry service to Jum, but only in the busy months. It had shut down by April which is shoulder season.

Not new since 2010 (and some of the above changes might have existed then, but I didn't notice them) but new for people who have been away a bit longer - a 50baht anti-litter fee at the pier on arrival.

And the backpacker old favourite Chongkao which was decimated by the tsunami, has been rebuilt in roughtly the same part of the far western end of the Ton Sai/Loh Dalum spit.

#1 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by tezza on 3/6/2012 at 08:16

Crikey - travelfish's html thingy is doing some funny spacing things to the posts.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by longbeach on 3/6/2012 at 18:17

So in summary the island is even more of a ripoff than previously.

#3 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/6/2012 at 20:45 admin

@longbeach HA HA HA

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tezza on 4/6/2012 at 04:55

Well yeah - except if people do their research or look hard there are still a few budget places and others which are relatively good value.
And mass booking websites can sure squeeze out some good discounts on many flashpacker and better places in shoulder and low season.

I'll always recommend Phi Phi to first time travellers - the landscape/seascape is worth the extra expense and other hassles.
I'm a multi-returner because I like to plot the changes and it is a good stop-off from Phuket on the way south. I'd much prefer to relax a few days off the aircraft from Australia in non high season on Phi Phi than Phuket.

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 16/6/2012 at 07:30

I don't really like the ocean, so none of those places is really working for me. But at least at Phuket there is a nascent salsa scene.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by adampatto on 16/6/2012 at 10:37

Hi Tezza,

Whats your pick of the places to stay on Long Beach for a backpacker/flashpacker? Also do you suggest we pre book for early November or just arrive to Long Beach and scope it out?

#7 adampatto has been a member since 13/11/2011. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.