Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Take euros or baht??

Posted by Emma23 on 8/6/2012 at 05:41

Hello again,

Not sure whther it's best to take Thai Bahts or euros to Thailand this summer. I live in Spain so use euros. Is it better to exchange euros here and take baht or take euros and convert them there or use my card to withdraw from the bank whenever I need money?

Thanks

#1 Emma23 has been a member since 13/4/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by antoniamitchell on 8/6/2012 at 07:46

Most of the time it's best to use your card to take out baht as and when you need it. That saves you from having to carry about large amounts of cash (and all the risks of possible loss/theft), and it can often work out cheaper as well.

One thing to consider/look into is what card to use, as that can quite drastically affect the fees your own bank will will charge you.

Another thing to be aware of is that all Thai banks charge 150 baht service fee for withdrawals against foreign accounts, so you won't want to take out tiny amounts of cash every day as those charges will quickly add up. Your best bet is probably to take out enough for at least a few days at a time.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 516
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by longbeach on 8/6/2012 at 11:43

Take whatever you have from home. Baht exchange rate is far greater inside Thailand than out. Super Rich has the best rates but airport rates in Thailand are 10% better than Spain would be.

#3 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by thaiXplorer on 9/6/2012 at 11:19

longbeach is master
my small add is to buy a neck pouch
you put euros and passport in!
open a thai bank account(siam city or else)
and leave 1000 euro in ya pouch
for emergency...
that's the way I do!..............bye

#4 thaiXplorer has been a member since 16/4/2012. Location: Germany. Posts: 37

Posted by millionario on 10/6/2012 at 19:54

As far as I know, you cannot exchange euros to baht outside Asia, so getting baths from Spain would be an impossible mission.

#5 millionario has been a member since 22/6/2004. Posts: 25
 Send millionario a private message 

Posted by captainbkk on 12/6/2012 at 07:01

then Millio is nor rightly informed-sure its possible to buy cash THB from many banks (order advance) or at some main airport exhcnages. BUT; as said by about anyone above-it is not wise-the rates are terrible.Some types of Europeans have other veiws on taking cash or not or using bank/cards as the usual wiseguy from USA posting here. in Europe its also completely unnecessary to inform banks you go outlandish-they will react like: why do you bother to tell us that?

#6 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.