Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Mountains/wilderness not far from Bangkok?

Posted by Kahve on 14/6/2012 at 15:26

Hi all,
I am flying into bangkok in a few weeks and will be staying for two weeks total. My idea is to spend the second week down south on an island/beach, perhaps Ko Tao as it sounds nice for relaxing, snorkeling, etc. However, i would really like to see some wilderness areas and mountains if possible. As I'll spend the first 2 or so days in Bangkok, this only leaves me 3-4 days, so I don't think it's enough time to go waaay north. Are there some areas that are a shorter distance from Bangkok, where I could stay as a base camp and do some day trip, hikes etc? I was reading about Kanchanaburi--is this a good choice for this period of time? Thanks for any insight!

#1 Kahve has been a member since 14/6/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 14/6/2012 at 18:00

I remember reading up on a national park to the east of Bangkok (heading into the Issan area) when I was looking at heading up that way but can't remember the name. I tried a quick google and came up with this site that might be useful: http://www.guidetothailand.com/map-thailand/map-natpark.php

I'm sure some far more knowledgeable people will pop in here soon to give you more practical info!

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by 9preciousGems on 15/6/2012 at 06:53

if you are heading down to the islands you can take a side trip to khao sok national park which is approx 2 hours drive from the port of suratthani (gateway to the gulf islands)

#3 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Posted by DLuek on 15/6/2012 at 09:10 TF writer

Khao Yai national park is a great one 3 hours (by train or bus) northeast of Bangkok. It's tricky to do independently without renting a car, but I've heard good things about the Greenleaf guesthouse and tours of the park (they have a website, google it if you're interested). You can camp in the park and hike around the trails near the campground (you'd have to take a taxi from Pak Chong town to get there), but there are no vehicles shuttling travelers around the park.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Kahve on 16/6/2012 at 11:09

Thanks a lot all--Khao Yai looks really great and could be just what we're looking for. Limited time means we might have to do a tour...but these look nice anyway.

#5 Kahve has been a member since 14/6/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.