Geez, this is not good...
"Two Quebec (Canada) sisters were found dead in their hotel room on Phi Phi Island in southern Thailand Thursday evening, the apparent victims of poisoning." http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/16/two-quebec-sisters-found-dead-in-thailand-hotel-room-in-suspected-poisoning/
Also recently: http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Missing+Belgian+woman+found+dead+in+Syafru&NewsID=336009
The risks of travelling - although you can also be hit by a car at home by just crossing the street.
This is making headline news here at home...for people who read french:
they were found at the Phi Phi Palms Residence
I think I know that place, south of port
with lots of massage bungalows at beach...
you can get dog bites there at night
-at that age?
pi pi expensive, but safe as fort knox
no idea what happened there..........
Thanks for the updates, altmtl. I'm finding this interesting reading.. and didn't want you to think that your efforts were going unnoticed. :-)
It's such a tragic story (again). I wonder if they'll get to the bottom of this one?
thanks, me too
more local news (in French)
Quebec sisters' bodies to arrive home from Thailand Thursday...Another local news network have said the Thai police are looking for a man who was seen with the girls - foul play has not been ruled out.
Thanks for the updates. Being from northern Vermont, this whole thing hits rather close to home for me too.
I watched a Thai news report last night that was still talking about magic mushroom cocktails and how this whole thing might affect Thailand's tourism numbers. It really gets under my skin how a) this mushroom thing keeps getting tossed around in the local media although there's no evidence whatsoever that the women had drank the stuff (even if they had psiloscybin mushrooms are not deadly, not via sickness anyway), and b) how the conclusion of so many of the local media stories are how ultimately this could have an impact on Thailand's tourism numbers.
I'll save my long rant for my buddies, but the way two people's tragic deaths are being approached by local media really rubs me the wrong way.
Funny how people seem to ignore this story & talk about going to Phi Phi as if it was an exotic paradise, sure it's beautiful, but it's also crap - tourism gone bad. Some people love it, others hate it, like the FMP.
Noemi Belanger And Audrey Belanger Investigation: Portuguese Men Sought After Hotel Deaths http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/21/noemi-belanger-and-audrey_n_1617465.html
they us DDT to spray for bed bugs, always best to take ur own sheet to put down.
#17 Davidji100 has been a member since 22/6/2012. Posts: 1
And just look how many young females (and males) are posting on here looking for travel buddies (strangers).
#20 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386
yes, the perfect stalking ground... That's why I always suggest people have facebook or couchsurfing profiles and exchange messages that way... you can get a pretty good idea about someone by what they post, who their friends are, and references given.
But in the case of the two girls, the meeting seems to have been random.
Then the women are idiots and do not know how to read profiles that are "too good to be true" - faked or full of sexual come ons... If they don't know how to spot a snake, well so be it. There's nothing anyone can do about that. There are good people out there, and CS has many wonderful and decent hosts.
bug spray wouldnt do that.
party drugs more likely
#24 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307
"And just look how many young females (and males) are posting on here looking for travel buddies (strangers)."
I find that bizarre myself. I prefer to travel alone or with my family. But if I were looking for company, strangers on the internet would not be the ticket.
"bug spray wouldnt do that.
party drugs more likely"
While I agree party drugs are more probable, in fact there was a case I believe in Chiang Mai last year where bug spray did kill a patron. The spray was used to kill bedbugs. Too much spray, too little ventilation. It's possible.
No proof it was bug spray. Stayed in a room myself just recently after they sprayed the entire hotel. Could barely smell it. You would have to inhale lots of that stuff directly to come close to dying from such a low toxic form. More likely to die from food poisoning.
#26 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307
Toronto Sun is now reporting it was insecticide poisoning.
#28 Slugo has been a member since 23/7/2011. Posts: 7
I'm familiar with kratom, but I've never, ever heard of a Thai cocktail that involved DEET -- anyone heard of such a thing?
#30 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,798
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
Malay and Thai Muslim teens have been mixing Mosquito coil ash and other ingredients into Coca-Cola to get high for some time now. This is to bypass the no alcohol laws of Islam.
If this was not an out right poisoning where their drinks were spiked, I would not be surprised if they were drinking a drink advertised as a happy shake or something along that lines. Perhaps the vendor ran out of mushrooms, maybe the deet has been the cheaper option for some time.
The fact remains that for those looking to travel and party, most vendors don't give a damn about your well being or life. From substituted drugs in drinks, selling heroin as cocaine, and using banned substances to clean rooms (Downtown Inn), the message is clear. Life is cheap and it's best to save/earn more Baht/Kip/Dollars than insure the well being of some tourist.
Have fun and be safe, furthermore educate others so more friends and family don't have to suffer. RIP
#31 Blackartemis has been a member since 16/7/2011. Posts: 36