Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand initiary

Posted by horstinho on 12/7/2012 at 04:33

Hey everybody!

Thanks for any suggestions/ comments in advance! We want to see some of northern thailand before heading to vietnam. I used a sample plan I found here on travelfish and shortened it a bit...

How much time would it take us to visit these places in a loop? Would a week be enough? Which place should we rather skip to make it shorter?Thanks!

Flight Chiang Mai
6) Chiang Mai -> Chiang Dao (nature, trekking)
7) Chiang Dao -> Tha Ton -> Chiang Rai (trekking, temples)
8) Chiang Rai -> Lampang (temples, elephant centre)
9) Lampang -> Chiang mai
Flight Back to Bangkok

#1 horstinho has been a member since 11/7/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 13/7/2012 at 15:09

One week is not enough. You could go to all of those places, but your visits would be very short and it's unlikely that you'd have time to go trekking.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/7/2012 at 05:11

I would do your trekking from Chiang Dao instead of Chiang Rai , I would spend minimal time in Chiang Rai, and I would skip Lampang completely.

Chiang Mai 2 days, bus to Chiang Dao, trekking 2 days, bus to Thaton for a day/night, boat to Chiang Rai for a night, bus to Chiang Mai. That's one week already.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by longbeach on 15/7/2012 at 06:21

You can book lots of treks from Chiang Mai. If you wanted to visit other towns you best hire a car. Chiang Rai is a bit quiet and Dao very small. If you are most interested in temples do that in CM and book your trek from there.

#4 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by MADMAC on 15/7/2012 at 06:24

Trekking is by definition kind of a multi-day affair, so your time for that kind of activity is really short with this much movement compressed into that short of a timeline.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.