Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Full Moon...then where? (for 7 days)

Posted by EMc85 on 12/7/2012 at 04:48

Hi there, my boyfriend and I are travelling to Bangkok at the end of August. We will be heading straight down to koh tao for a few days and then going to Koh Phangan for the September full moon. We leave Koh Phangan on the 3rd and have to go to Khao Sok National Park on the 10th of September.

My question is....what to do in those 7 days. Ideally we'd want to hit two islands or one that had lots to explore. I was keen for heading down to Koh lanta but I have read mixed reports about ferries that will be running. Any thoughts on what islands to hit? I have been told that we should stay on the east side of Thailand but I don't really fancy Koh Samui....unless anyone thinks we should?

#1 EMc85 has been a member since 12/7/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by longbeach on 12/7/2012 at 07:08

Samui is better than KPN and those horrible FMPs. The FMPs would be no 1 on my list of things to avoid like the plague. Unless you are some drug addict who likes trance music don't do that.

#2 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Posted by guernseydan on 14/7/2012 at 08:43

Whats your interests

id say do Samiu and maybe a dive course in Koh Tao for a few days,

or if you want a few days on a chilled out secluded beach go to Haad Yuan

Really depends on you interests, chilled or mad for it,

i've always enjoyed Full moon parties, think ill be there in september, normally takes a few days to recover though, if i had a better half i would probably do a full moon then stay in Haad Yuan(beautiful quiet beach) to recover or back to Samiu and stay at the jungle club in between Lamai and Cheweng(amazing views and quiet spot), or possibly the Grand Sea Resort in Phangan Thongsala(Nice Resort), live it up for a few days in a decent hotel and then

prob on to Samiu to have some fun, Cheweng has the best night life and is good spot for maybe 3 nights!

Trip to the Green Mango night club and Ark Bar on the beach, Hire a scooter and visit the big Buddha and Mae Nam Chinese Temple and the Waterfalls, if your there on a friday check out the Fishermans market in Bophut or Sunday Market in Lamai, Feed the fish at Wat Plai Laem, Catch a Muay Thai fight in Cheweng or saturday nights in Lamai is lady boxing, not so professional but free to watch and a good laugh

The Choice is yours

#3 guernseydan has been a member since 26/12/2010. Posts: 49

Posted by guernseydan on 14/7/2012 at 08:45

http://www.phangan.info/grandsea/index.htm

http://www.jungleclubsamui.com/index.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303907-d2516016-Reviews-Haad_Yuan_Beach-Koh_Phangan_Surat_Thani_Province.html

#4 guernseydan has been a member since 26/12/2010. Posts: 49

Posted by guava_girl on 14/7/2012 at 21:33

Why not stay on Koh Phangan? If you head to the north of the island it is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing.

#5 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by tezza on 15/7/2012 at 02:38

Some good suggestions this thread.

My first impulse was to recommend the sheltered laid back east coast of Phi Phi which tends to be a real good location during the Andaman wet season. Thing about Lanta is all beaches face west into the prevailing westerly monsoon winds - can get unpleasant in those 15-25% of days when things get blustery.

But why not stay in the usually at that time of year drier southern Gulf? Thing abt Phangan is that moving beaches is just like moving islands. So many contrasts.

If you want to try another island nearby, Samui is the go - Thong Takien is a laid back beach but more developed Lamai still has some relaxed traveller-type places.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.