Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

relocating in thailand/ED visa

Posted by XxSMIL3xX on 3/8/2012 at 07:21

me and my girlfriend we are ready to relocate in thailand.
the only problem is visa.i would like to know which cities have schools for us to learn the language and take an ED visa for 1 year till we ll be able to find another way to take a business visa perhaps.

we are not interesting for bangkok,pattaya,phuket,koh samui.
we prefer something more quiet like krabi,trat and koh chang,maybe chiang mai when the weather is rainy.

so any1 who knows where i can learn thais and take the ED visa please help us.
thank you!

#1 XxSMIL3xX has been a member since 10/6/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by captainbkk on 7/8/2012 at 06:20

this forum is mainly for low-budget bekpek-type travellers.Without stating your nationality it is IMpossible to tell about visa and the like-except that for young people it will be VERY difficult anyway. THINK=use brains before posting and use a dedicated forum like (google should have spitted that out) for this.
The Thai language is considered quite difficult to learn for most westerners- there are not that many real language schols, but the cheapness of private teachers makes it affordable anywhere.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by DLuek on 7/8/2012 at 06:58 TF writer

True that is probably a more suitable place to ask this, but the answer from captainbkk is overly pessimistic.

Actually, there are loads of Thai language schools in Bangkok - these are just a few - and while Thai is definitely a difficult language, you can learn it with determination and practice. You can also get an Ed. visa relatively easily as part of the deal.

Apart from one adept Canadien who was an exchange student in Thailand during high school and has been living in the country five years with a Thai husband, the only foreigners I know who have become truly fluent have been in the country for 20+ years. But if you're dedicated to learning, just one year is enough to be able to express yourself. Of course, everyone's different when it comes to language - some seem to pick them up overnight.

Hope it works out for you - chok dee.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,304
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by goonistik on 7/8/2012 at 21:46

In general, the school should help you get an educational visa. I'm pretty sure that many thai universities will have a thai language program. I'm pretty sure that some private language schools will also be authorized to help you get an educational visa.

some programs are found here

and an overview of the visa process is found here

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/8/2012 at 11:45

You should just get a tourist visa first (in your home country) then decide where you want to set up. Then enroll in a language course and they should be able to help with an ED visa. To get a business (non immigrant b) visa you need to obtain legitimate employment and then the place will provide the necessary documents. Then go to a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country (Laos, Malaysia, etc) for the nonimmb visa. Most jobs available to foreigners are for English language teachers, which requires a teaching certificate and maybe a university degree.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.